Thread: HOW TO CUT SIGN FOAM

Wingfield Sign & Graphics, Dallas-Fort Worth TEXAS

Default HOW TO CUT SIGN FOAM

I have been cutting mostly PVC and cutting just letters or shapes for signs. I have a piece of scrap HDU approx 1.5 thick. I use corel and flexi and then export as DXF into parts wizard (currently). How do I make it carve out 3-d looking stuff like i see on here. Like just a square sign with recessed middle shaved to 1 inch and text or object staying out at 1.5 .- Do i have to make the tool path go all around it over and over maker wider passes each time. Is there an easy way to do this, like automatically knows to cut around give amount of times or do i have to do this manually in Or do i have to make a 100 little paths getting bigger and bigger. Is there soething that can tell this in Parts Wizard. I AM LOOKING TO GROW IN WHAT I CAN DO. I NEED HELP!!! I will post in signmaking my ltest project. I was sort of thrown into this but am already a SHOPBOT HEAD.

http://vectric.com/

V-carve Pro and Cut3d

Is there anyway to do this with Parts Wizard if I set it up in Corel and make contours around everything to create multiple tool paths. I realize this is a backwards way to do this. Is parts Wizard strictly for just 2D

Yes PW is 2-1/2D only... a little less in fact!

If you are just getting into this, you may want to check out Vector Art 3D and try yourself with Vector Art Machinist 3D CAM which is free to download and easy and get the free 3D clipart too. While at it, browse the magnificent catalog content.

May I recommend to not yet spoil this HDU leftover you got yet and get a insulation foam to play with at first... just a thought...

It has been a while since I have used part wizard but if you are looking to have raised letters use the area clear setting in part wizard.

Of course you need to input your bit diameter maximum depth and stepdown passes.

For true 3d objects you will need a more powerful Cam program, Vectric looks nice for the money though I have not used it.

I use ArtCam Pro, which easily converts your ideas into 3D, but I'm not familiar with the other softwares out there, but I'm sure that there are others that do the same thing.

Wes,

Yes you could do this in Part Wizard....if you are a math genius and had several months of your time to devote to creating the toolpaths for a single, simple project.

Take Dave Hines advice and save yourself a trip to the loony bin.

-Kevin

Thanks guys.....I have done a few recessed using the clear area, and some engraving. I dont think I was using the right bit to engrave though...had some un-smooth edges ( i tried to raster clear) still learning, but still have all my fingers too!