Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Clear coating resistant to dry erase marker?

If you are still looking around for an answer I will throw a few more out to you. For WB try the MLCampbell AquaLente. It is really taking alot of shops in my area from solvent to h2o.

If you are looking for something more along the lines of the auto clears, then I would recommend MLCampbell Euro-X. I used to use Sikkens Auto clears on exterior wood doors, but now use this stuff and it is proving to be an excellent product. But it is a pretty rough produc in terms of health. You need to take the proper precautions with it.

I tried the markee clear dry erase paint. It goes on a little rough and doesn't go over wood very nicely. It looks like it would work well on drywall or paint, but so far, not so good. Maybe I can get it thinned enough to work.

Next...the target poly that eric recommended... If that doesn't work, gotta try the aqualente and
    conversion varnish.

So far, the target polycarbonate polyu isn't working too well. It rejects some colors, other colors stain. I'm going to put another coat on it to make it smoother and let it cure some more, maybe its just needs to crosslink more. its been on 72 hours. Gloss works better than satin though.

Onto the next thing....

Hey John, I see Rockler offers a new (to them anyway) Rustoleum product - (Rockler #36545) called Dry Erase Whiteboard finish. It is a two-part product and it is white, not clear.

Since you have not posted for a while, you apparently have not found a clear product that works?

harold thanks,

I think the polycarbonate polyu is going to work. I hadn't let it dry long enough to work, but it seems to work now. key is long drying time, thick coat and smooth finish.

gotta check out the rustoleum

John,
    You can also buy dry erase marker board in 4X8 sheets. I bought a couple sheets a year or so ago for about $23 ea. My supplier now has it listed as being discontinued with limited stock:

2/Sided REXCEL MARKER BOARD*WHITE* 4' X 8' X 1/4" In stock $15.92

-B

Look for a 'white board' at Lowes in the the bath section. It's 4 x 8 foot by 1/8" and sells for about $13.00. A friend of mine has cut thousands of laptop sized 'white boards' from that material for local schools with execellent success.

White melamine works really well for a dry erase board too!

-B

I had the whiteboard material. premium porcelin coated steel. I was looking for framing material (wood) that would reject dry erase marker. so far, the polycarb polyu gloss water borne from target coatings has worked the best so far.

I'll have to check into the other materials to play with, but I was just looking for marker resistant coatings for wood. thanks for the ideas.

john