Thread: Possible new user

Default Possible new user

My name is George. Have been a cabinet maker/sign maker for over 35 years. I had a stroke about 4 years ago and had to retire. I do not like not being able to do what I want, cabinet making. I have been thinking of starting a small part time sign business, making small signs for homes, individuals, etc. nothing fancy. I live close to an amusement park with well over a million visitors a year and can have space in the park for a nominal fee. I am thinking of a 48" X 48" bot for this purpose. I have everything else necessary for an undertaking of this nature. I would like to hear your thoughts pro or con. Thanks, George

Go for it! Sounds like you have a great opportunity. Are you familiar with CAD/CAM if not that will be your biggest learning curve, but not insurmountable. Oh and also the tourists

George,

It sounds like great fun. A couple of things to consider would be the range of offerings for park visitors. You might want to look into the amount of time various types of products would require to make. No only carving but painting, etc. I would think a very restricted product line with some really efficient procedures would be necessary in that type of environment. Maybe you could make up a bunch of samples and take orders for later delivery.

Good luck with it.

George, I agree the concept sounds great to be near over a million potential customers and heavy foot traffic. Also agree you would not be able to provide a "fast food" speed of service so either a standard product line. "Like kids names pre made" or other similar ready to sell items would seem to be in order with the added offer for customs.
    If you are thinking of having a "fabrication space" on site for make to order as folks visit the amusement park for pick up in an hour or at end of their stay, I would be concerned about several things.
    Dust, paint overspray and exhaust, dust collection, power supply, noise, material storage, and keeping up with design and cutting while attending to the counter and cash register/customer service.
    Pre cut redwood blanks for example with fill in names might also work if you had a sander. Then you could v carve names, spray with a rattle can, let dry, then sand off the top so the letters and v carved borders remain black or whatever color you paint them. All the infrastructure items remain the same for a small portable shop on site.
    This type of no prime paint would not deliver the highest quality finish and durability for outdoor signs but would be the lower end labor and price point for a quick set up and deliver.
    Might be more productive to start selling the amusement park their signs and get some lead time to fab and finish.
    Finally you could use a material like "color core" and avoid any painting if you could find sufficient market for that type of signs in the available colors.
    Good luck and the more research you do to dial in the right product and venue, the more successful it will be.

George,
    There was someone doing custom signs at Busch Gardens in Williamsburg VA this past summer. I didn't have time to stop in but it appeared that he had precut signs that customers would choose and just the lettering was done to be picked up at the end o the day. I would also assume that he had some fee for shipping if the customer did not want to carry it home. The cutting noise seemed to act as an attracter ( people wondering what was happening ). I don't know if the park is still open but if it is it might be worth a field trip.

Thanks for all the replies. This is not a new idea for me, it has been several years in the making. About two years ago I bought a hand operated sign carver, I quickly learned I purchased a piece of junk.
    John, I was in Dollywood this summer and seen a sign maker there. They were using what appeared to be a memamine covered MDF, and other materials Color Core and Corian like products for this type of signs. Very nice people, they left me look at their equipment and explained it to me.
    Jerry, I have thought about doing fabrication on site, and also thought of taking orders and fabricating at another location. There are advantages and disavantages both ways. I am leaning towards making samples of various items and having my wife, and daughter staff a booth on site

George,
    One disadvantage to doing things onsite is that people will say "You want me to pay (X) dollars for that?, it only took you 15 minutes to make"! If you do it offsite they don't know how long it took and will feel like they are getting a better deal.
    We did a lot of business several years ago for a wildlife park close to Dollywood in Sevierville and made a lot of money on an "impulse item" with lions and tigers, no bears..oh my...
    Although there is something to selling "impulse items" also, so it's a mixed bag i guess.