Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ShopBot sign completed

Default ShopBot sign completed

Here's a photo of a job just completed on the ShopBot. It is approximately 3' x 4' and the entire project was done with our new PRTalpha96.

The sandblasted woodgrain was produced in ArtCam Pro using a photo of sandblasted wood and then letting the software produce the toolpaths.

There were two of these done - with different park names. Over the years we have done dozens of these, but have always sandblasted and hand carved before.

The posts are redwood. Everything was finished in Porter 100% acrylic paints. The lettering is high performance vinyl.

16311.jpg

I forgot to mention that the sign panel is HDU - 15# SignFoam3 - 1.5" thick.

Nice as always Raymond, and theirs your signature top header

Raymond,

Can you tell me how long it took to cut this sign, what feeds and speeds you used and what type and size bit you used? I too do these by sandblasting but I sub the sandblasting out and occassionally I get one sign and I think it would be quicker for me to machine it rather than take it to the sandblaster.

Thanks,

Carroll Bradshaw

It's faster to sandblast

Raymond,

Would it be possible to post a copy of the ArtCam Pro file you used for this sign? I'd like to see how the sandblasted photo was digitized.

Thanks

Mike

Eric,
    Thanks for the info. I know it is definitely faster to do the sandblasiting. In my case the company that does my sandblasting is about one hour away and I was wondering I have only one sign to blast would I be better off to machine or spend two hours plus the gas driving. What is your experience?

Thanks,

Carroll

Carroll - we have been doing dimensional signs for about 30 years, with the majority of them being sandblasted. This was the first one we did with a woodgrain background using the ShopBot.

It is definately faster to use the ShopBot. (That's considering my time.) When I sandblasted the sign, the HDU had to be cut to the shape, a resist applied, the layout handcut with an Xacto knife, and then the equipment set up to sandblast the background (possibly making a trip to buy more sand). The actual process of sandblasting the background of a sign this size was about 30 minutes. Then everything had to be cleaned up and put away and the mask removed. Then the cove around the edge was made with a hand router. The convex shapes in the top corners were then hand carved. The edge of the panel was sanded to remove the marks from the jig saw, and then the panel was ready for painting.

That consumed a fair amount of time...more than just blasting the background.

With these two signs, I prepared the artwork in ArtCam Pro, put a sheet of HDU in the ShopBot, and turned on the spindle. The actual cutting time was about 8 hours, but I wasn't standing there watching it for all that time. I turned on the machine and went about doing something else that would make me money. Just like turning a job over to an employee.

The ShopBot cut the woodgrain background, did the logo, cut the cove around the edge, carved the prismatic blocks, and then cut out the profile. There was no sanding necessary and no sand in my underwear or a shop full of HDU dust.

I've done signs both ways and the ShopBot is faster and easier....by far.

Since I am just beginning to use this machine I am still in the learning stage, so speeds and such are just a guess.

This was 15# SignFoam3 - 1.5" thick. The woodgrain was cut with a 1/8" round over bit at 15,000, 120 inch/min.

The cove was cut with a 3/4" round nose bit, and the contour made with a 1/4" mill end. The logo was made as a separate piece and used a 1/8" mill end plus the regular contour of the shape.

The prismatic blocks were also made as separate pieces and then applied. The were made with a 120 degree V-Groove bit.

The speed and feed rates were the same on all pieces.

When you consider time, you have to keep in mind all the prep and clean up...plus in your case driving back and forth and gas expense.

Sorry Erik, I have to disagree. I'll stick with pushing some buttons and going on to something else.

Now that you put it that way I agree. I was thinking of a typical mask job on a piece of redwood with no great detail such as prismatic letters and other fine detail, hard to tell from your pic on detail

I think I just said something even stoopider.

Right about now I'm thinking about one of those airline commercials that go, "Wanna get away?"

Is it Friday yet? ...time for a cigar