Thread: Tool Database File Format?

Default Tool Database File Format?

I want to do some extensive editing to my tool database.

Can someone please tell me what database engine is used to query/edit this file?

I am experienced with SQL, dBase, etc., but I don't know what format this file is created in.

Thanks!

Hi Charlie,
    If you're refering to the tooldatabase from PartWorks, then the file is a binary data file and cannot be queried from an external program.

Brian

If Vectric will share that info I would love to know, so I could write a program to generate a series of tools and feeds, very tedious to do by hand.

I did a hex dump of the database file, hopeing it would be easy to decode.. it's not immediately obvious at any rate.

D

I can't say that I understand the need to use a binary data file for the tool database, but it sure would be nice if we could import and export to this file from a "foreign" source, like Excel, dBase, a delimited text file, or a SQL table, etc.

I want to establish a different "tool" definition for each material we cut with each bit, with all the correct settings for speed, etc. so an operator can quickly set up jobs correctly every time.

And I want to sort these tool definitions into logical groups by the material being processed.

This can be done in PartWorks, but it would be VERY tedious. Just positioning a new tool definition at the correct place in the tool list is awkward for me.

Charlie, we both have exactly the same problem. I set up a bit for each material so the feed rates are correct.

There needs to be a better way to get the data into the tool file.

D

Dana...
    It doesnt take forever to redo the tool database, just a full rainy Saturday!

Gary

I'm a huge fan of Vectric and I've got all their software but I must admit I do find the closed format of the tool database really irritating.

I'd love it to be XML with an option in each program to set its location so they can all share the same information if required.

Somebody send me a copy of the database file and I'll look at it. I've been decomposing proprietary databases for decades, importing the data from one proprietary system into the database of whoever my employer was at the moment. Nothing yet I haven't been able to crack with a hex editor and a custom-written program.

The current tooldatabase file is a C++ MFC CArchive created by serialising out the internal C++ objects representing the contents of the tool databse within the program. It changes format whenever we add support for new tool types and any errors in the data are likely to lead to the program crashing (or worse machining incorrectly if the internal representation does not match what the user thinks they have entered). For tools like the custom form cutters , both the tool feeds/ speeds etc and the associated geometry are stored.

We are planning to overhaul the tooldatabase in the future and the new format will be more open and ASCII based rather than binary. We have no current release date for these planned changes at the moment however.

Brian

Brian- thanks for the post!

Its one of the things where the next generation of vectric products could make a big improvement for the typical user.

I still would like to see local datum support.. or optionally, include other projects as an independent objects within a project.

I keep wanting the moon eh?

D