Thread: Not happy

Default Not happy

hay all

I applied Sculpt Nouveau Silver C in three coats onto a 3D head relief and all I could get out of it was a polish, up to a dull Pewter.

I want the finished piece to look like silver.

Would it be better to seal the wood, spray it with Chrome Spray Paint from HD- then topcoat with Permilac?

If so, what's the best thing to seal with?

Permilac is a good sealer, but you may want to finish it off with a coat of wax. SN sells colored waxes, which I highly recommend, if you are working with reliefs. Get the black wax & let it sit for 5-10 min, then buff off. The low areas will keep the black & make the relief 'pop', giving the illusion that it is deeper than it really is.

You're really not going to get a 'chrome' finish using the SN products. If it has to be really shiny, use ChromeFX from Alsa, but be prepared to pay for it: http://www.alsacorp.com/products/chr...x_prodinfo.htm

Your best bet might be to just prime, then finish with a chrome-like silver spray paint.

-B

I agree with Brady.

I'm sorry for your frustration but you won't get a chrome affect with any SN products.

The good news is your C coating is a good hard coat underlaynent for something like ChromeFX.

Anyone interested in using SN, you should do a complete test on a panel before using it as a final finish. For example, if you painted five Brass swatches on a board and misted each with one of their different Patina's you'd have five different affects.

For that reason we will be going through these test in my workshop. Many advanced techniques aren't point and shoot. It takes a little investigation.

Good luck with your project and keep us posted.

It's all better
    Silver spray and a top coat

Thanks