Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Raster Braille Signs

Accent Signage Systems, Inc., Minneapolis MN

No Charlie, Your analysis above is not entirely correct.
    At least one third of the States in the US already have adopted into law the ANSI 117.1A Standards for ADA. ANSI 117.1A requires dome-shaped rounded Braille dots. If you are in a state with ANSI 117.1A standards (such as here in Minnesota) then Dome-shaped Braille is the law. This will soon be the case in all states, now that the DOJ has put it's stamp of approval on the standards. Visually-impaired people want dome-shaped Braille because it is easier to read and does not cut their fingers.

Dome-shaped Braille can be made with our Raster Braille process, but it can also be made with the routed-out Braille process is special dome cutters are employed. We have photopolymer manufacturers using Raster Braille in the photopolymer materials also.

I would disagree with your implication that Raster Braille is an "expensive proprietary process". The complete Raster kit is $1995.00 and most shops recoup that entire investment with the very first large ADA job they make with Raster equipment.

Shevy

I think it's best for me to back away from this discussion after this post - I don't want to abuse my privileges here on ShopBot's forum.

The whole point of my discussion is that your statements in the first post in this thread that "The ADA regulations require a dome-shaped Braille dot. A flat topped dot is no longer legal." are just not true. Instead, they are misleading and self-serving, and I am offended by that as others probably are.

In your last post, your position changed to say that 1/3 of the states have adopted these requirements. To me, that means that the Federal Government and the other 2/3 of the states have NOT mandated dome-shaped braille as a matter of law, so this heavily suggests that your statements are false.

We would like to get the Federal Government to pass a law that required sign companies to send us $2,000 each too, but we would prefer to earn it honestly.

Hi Charlie,
    Your comments above are well taken. I made my earlier comments with good intentions and they were not meant to mislead and I apologize for that. Most major ADA sign manufacturers are treating the ANSI 117.1A standards as law, since they are already law in so many states and more states all the time. The new regulations have been around since 2003, and it took many years for them to be approved by the Dept of Justice. Since that procedure is now completed as of 2008. It only remains for Obama to review and give the go ahead and most in the ADA sign industry feel that there are no obstacles left. Please forgive me for treating it as law, since it has been law in Minnesota, where we operate for quite some time now.

I notice that you are from Tennessee. Although your state has not adopted the ANSI 117 standards yet, several municipalities in Tennessee have. For example, if you install ADA signs in Murphreesboro, TN they have adopted the ANSI 117 standards and dome shaped Braille would be required there.

To locate other municipalities in your state where the new ADA regulations are already law you can contact Fred Garbler at the State Fire marshal's office. Tennessee allows either the new ADA regulations(ANSI 117, as part of the Intl Building Code) or the 2002 North Carolina Accessibility code with 2004 ammendments, unless you are in one of those municipalities, like Murphreesboro that oficially adopted the ANSI 117 regulations as law.

My point is, that even in states like yours where ANSI 117 is not in the state code, you may be faced with it as a law in several municipalities there, so it is always wise to check the local regulations.

Hope this info will help you.
    Shevy

It seems to me that a bit could easily be made just for braille dots. Dome size and clearance could be set when the tool is made. Height and diameter would be totally consistent. Is there some tear out issue? Or some other complication I am over simplifying? Certainly I am not the first one to think of this.

Hi Joe,
    There are several different kinds of bits available for making both the Braille dots and for making the holes for Braille spheres. I assume you are asking about the former used in the routede-out Braille method where you remove the plastic material and leave the dots exposed. The old Braille bits for this process produced flat-topped dots that are no longer acceptable in many states and cities. A newer domes Braille cutter was developed to meet the ADA regulations and it does produce a rounded domed shaped dot. However routed Braille, especially domed routed Braille takes a lot of machine time compared with the Raster Braille system.
    Shevy

I can't believe what I'm reading here.

It's very simple here, Accent Signage has a patent for the raster applicator tool, pen and others. You don't have to use their system for creating braille but it makes it a hell of a lot easier for doing these types of jobs and in volume.

Pay the 2k or don't. I did, and never looked back. You'll make this back on the first half of your first job, believe me.

Cutting braille out with a cutter is a waste of time, inefficient and not to mention unprofessional looking. The beads give it a professional finished look.

The bottom line on domed braille or not. If you do large volume ADA compliant signage you will notice that the EGD or Environmental Graphic Designers always call out and prefer domed braille. Every Civic or Private job always calls out for it, don't get me started on Title 24 being in CA.

Another suggestion I would highly recommend picking up is Sharon Toji's Access Communications binder, very helpful.

Sharon's Binder with phone support and Accents Braille applicator = makes life easier.

Adirondack Routing and Signs, Morrisonville NY

We considered buying the Accent Sinage system but I have a hard time shelling out the 2k for the Braille pen applicator.
    I've never had the opportunity to see or try it in person so I can't really offer an opinion.
    We do dozens of Braille signs. The acrylic braille balls are from McMaster Carr $8.21 per/500.
    We we're able to purchase a DOS based grade 2 Braille translator for $20.00, not as fancy as the Dukbury system but very functional. Someone on Sawmill Creek has developed a translator plug-in for Corel that goes for $49.00.
    The laser engraver is our tool of choice for the signs, I can't imagine the CNC can create a hole precise enough to hold a 1/16" diameter ball without adhesive.
    All of the DOJ regulations I have read require dome shaped braille raised 1/32" above the substrate. Your local code enforcement officer should be familiar with the regulations.

If you have your CNC dialed in decent it's not a problem doing the tactile or braille hole drilling. I haven't had a problem with having to need an adhesive for acrylic ball, but I will need to layer transfer tape over the holes in aluminum or other metals then apply the balls with the pen.

On the CNC I can do a few plaques at a time, but it seems easier at times using a small engraver or on a laser

dead link