Thread: HDU - Filler for Sign Foam HDU

Default HDU - Filler for Sign Foam HDU

I accidentally put a divot in a HDU panel I am working on. What might make a good filler? I tried Bondo on a scrap piece but it s really hard so, when it’s sanded the sanding operation runs over onto the HDU which sands at a much greater rate. Due to time constraints I'd like to find a product from a local source (Big Yellow or Big Blue) Thanks.

Bill,

I'm not sure how large the divot is but here are a couple of suggestions.

First let me say, I agree with your acessment about fillers that are harder than the foam. As you stated, the foam sands away while the filler is raised. Leaving an ugly bump.

One technique, I often use, is to drill a larger hole than your divit, then glue in HDU dowell from the same foam as your panel. I use instant gue, the Isocyurate type but gorilla type will also work. I leave the plug standing a little above the surface. Then slice it off with a sharp chisel.

I've also had the misforture to knock corners completely off of sign panels. It's easier, for me, to enlarge the mistake and re-glue a completely new piece of foam. I like to finish up by using detail hand saws for this kind of work. Japanese pull saws are great.

Repairs with Gorilla type glue is sometimes difficult as it has a tendancy to expand, leaving gaps.

Last. If you have razor sharp chisels, you might consider the following. Mix equal parts Bondo, Fiverglass Resin, and a little HDU Dust from the sander. This will pour out like molases. It sets up in 30 minutes. It can be sliced like cheese just bedore it sets up. You will have a good 15 minutes to level it off with the chisel. With this technique, no sanding is necessary.

Joe

Ultra Lite Spackle, sands just like HDU

Thanks guys. Sounds like the answer to my problem.

Merry Christmas everone

Bill,
    WE have had alot of issues like this with hdu and hdpe, etc. you can purchase a plug cutter and make your own plugs from the substrate.

http://www.ostartools.com/products/f...plugcutter.htm

Ps.
    you can get some at home depot. that site just shows what are available but it is in china.
    here is one site you can buy from
    http://www.woodcraft.com

I don't post much here, but I couldn't let this one lay. Ultra lite spackle may indeed sand like HDU, but it won't LAST like HDU, not outdoors anyway. Spackle is an interior product! And I'm assuming the sign is going outdoors because why would you spend the money on HDU for an interior sign?

+1 for David. Ultra lite spackle on exterior sign doesn't sound good.

David I can understand your post but if you are filling a scratch or small nick and then prime (Jay Cooke) 2 coats and paint as normal isn't the lite spackle protected from the elements?