Thread: Lettering Enamel over Acrylic Enamel

Default Lettering Enamel over Acrylic Enamel

This may seem like an elemental question to some of you but I wanted to ask anyway.

I'm finishing a sign's background with acrylic latex enamel(semi gloss). There are 3 v-carved ares with the customers name and slogan.

I had planned on painting the v-carved areas with 1 Shot lettering enamel and was wondering if I should paint the v-carved areas with the acrylic first or just put the lettering enamel over the primer.

I think I know the answer but need expert advice.

The material is Sign Foam.

Thank you in advance.
    Darren

We would usually prime and paint the background before routing then apply mask. then paint the v carved areas with primer and finish coat.
    However we used all two component auto enamel so we could speed things up. We have never had a problem painting oil over latex.
    I like the acyrlic latex but we never used it on signfoam. Wish we had though. It has mildowcide and fungacide in the contents usually which could have helped us in some shady areas we placed signs.

You can do either. You can paint acrylic latex over bare SignFoam as well as One Shot over bare SignFoam.

We normally use a filler/primer like Coastal Enterprises FSC-88 WB but it is not necessary for the paint to stick to the HDU. We just like the super smooth surface that results from using a primer.

You can paint One Shot over acrylics but you cannot always go the other direction.