Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Multi Layer Board?

BBoehle Guest

Default Multi Layer Board?

Does anyone know of a board product (foam, plastic, mdf, etc) that would be available in multi layer colors so that different depths of cut would create different color letter?
    I currently have a customer we cut MDF signs for. He would like to texture paint the blank, have me rout the signs and then make the letters a different color. Sounds simple but the textured paint will not allow masking so I thought a multi layer product might work? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Bruce

Bruce,

Engraver's plastic is about the only stuff I know of that shows a different color when cut.

Here is a possible solution. Sintra (expanded PVC board) can be had in different colors. You can then glue these sheets together and then route them out to get different colors.

Just an idea.

Bruce Clark

tucker-52@charter.net Guest

BBoehle,

No simple solution. Sometimes it is neccesary to educate your customer. Bruce Clark's idea is good, except for the fact that the finished product will show very little of the different colors around the edge of the letters/graphics. Not worth the trouble/expense. Remember an old addage about signs....50, 10. 50 miles an hour, 10 feet from the road, who cares? Unless your customer is ordering custom interior signage, it's not worth it. Your job is to sell him/her signs that will be affordable and attract attention. He/she just thinks they know what they want.

That being said, and I'm just guessing, my friend,
    that these are exterior roadside signs, I would suggest to my customer this: Cut the blank out of SignFoam (or Precision Board), say, 3/4 inch thick. Texture paint the blanks bright yellow. Use MDO board, 1/2" for the substrate, painted flat black. Adhere the two together using any appropriate glue. I suggest Gorilla Glue, but only if you are familiar with it. Now you have an eye-grabbing sign that works and is affordable. Your customer will love you for it! Just a thought! Mark

joecrumley Guest

Bruce

This project sounds like a real problem. My best advice is to move on.

Here are some of the problems.

Sign foam is real expensive. Engraving stock is too thin. PVC does not accept most paint-textures easily.

We get these requests sometimes. They usually come with a limited budget.

How about those great folks in technical support at Shopbot. They are so pleasant, and available. I have to commend Ted Hall for finding such good, capable guys and gals.

Good luck with your signs.

Joe

didde@lowcountry.com Guest

There is a PVC type board that has different colors layered in it for signs comes in green & white, blue & white and a few other colors its made in 4x8 sheets. just can't think of the name

Wow!

You guys are great.
    Thanks for solutions/questions.
    The details are that they are interior signs,they are cut with a v bit, they are repeat business and they are willing to pay a nice price if I can figure it out. So, that said I will play with the ideas you guys have suggested.
    Thanks again,
    Bruce

Guys, I have used the product in question, and it sometimes goes under the name of "King Color Core". It has a 1/16"face/back, and an interior of a different color, so when you route through the face you get a contrasting letter. No priming,or sanding ( cuts very nicely), or finishing, all of which tend to help offset the price; a 1/2" full sheet (48 by 96") runs close to $200. You can order it ( OR get the full sample box of goodies..) from ;Harbor Sales-1-800-345-1712
    By the way this product is SO impervious to the weather, that all of the local golf courses now use it for their on course signeage...

pnielsen Guest

Absolutely what I am looking for! Now if I can only convince the customer to change all the old signage to a new look!
    Bruce

rgengrave@aol.com Guest

BBoehle here is a trick if I am reading your post right?

1.Get a piece of material 1/8 thick.
    2. Cut out your sign.
    3. Lay the cut out sign on top of 1/2 MDF
    4. With a pencil trace the outline of the sign letters.
    5. Remove the cut out and just paint bursh the colors to the MDF.
    6. Paint - Stain - Texture the cut out and then just place it on top of the MDF.

This is a simple trick if you want to use different colors and no masking.

Ron V