Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: ShopBot Link Beta Testers

Nat,

I'm using a 2 flute compression bit at 12,000RPM at 6IPS.
    Conventional cut, 2 pass (max .4")

I tried 8IPS today and had just too much deflection.

I have .020" tolerance set up in eCabinets for dado fit. The fit is a little sloppy. I'll have to narrow this down with more experience in cutting with the Link.

Something I found in using the Link with a good nesting engine is bit deflection is not a big problem. Because you tell the Link how much space you want left over between parts after the bit has cut it's first part. I have it set to .010". The bit only has to cut .010" off the next part. Granted not all parts have another one next to it but this seems to help.

Roger..
    Are you cutting climb or conventional? I am hoping to cut another file on Sun afternoon. Will be using the 3/8 bit. I have found that at 6ips I get over .025 deflection (watermark) when I cut both conventional. My edge quality suffers when I cut both climb.

Nat...
    Did you get your drills working with the VC command?

Gary

Thanks Roger.

Even at 4ips, 2 passes I get significant deflection with a 1/4" bit. For the time being I've switched to a 3/8" bit/5 ips/12K RPM's, 2 passes for all parts, cutting half way for each pass. Good results there.
    Many of my parts have a 1/4" dado for the backs, so with just one cutting head, I'll need to come up with a plan to make the 1/4" bit work for all cuts. Without the climb/conventional option in the Link, I'm not sure how I'll go about this. I'd like to think this is a possible future option in the software

Gary,

For some reason, in the files created in the Link, the bit seems to move very quickly from one hole to the next, no pause. Maybe the postP setup, dunno. I've been keeping it running for the duration, and been pleased. It didn't look like I'd pick up much at all turning it off between my shelf holes. Haven't needed to go to the VC...yet.

Very efficient program. Though I've only done basic machining, no dadoes etc., all good. Everything really does seem to zip along. Support, fantasic. Aside from the climb/conventional option, I don't know that I could ask for anything much better.

Gary, thanks, once again, for all the help and patience in getting this running for me.

I will be running my first kitchen next week. Interesting casework material. It is a pre-finished OSB. I am designing all the cabinets now. I will be using a 5mm bit to machine everything. I will post my results. Justin