Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help with masking for machining

Rookie432@aol.com Guest

Default Help with masking for machining

Hello,

Is anyone using a paint mask that can be machined. I'm currently in the process of carving some raised letter signs and am having trouble finding a paint mask that the router bit doesn't tear and curl in the machining process. Ideally I would like to pre-paint my letter colors on wood, apply a low to medium tac mask, machine the sign, then spray coat backround and peel. Masking tape and vinyl doeesn't work. Too soft. The material must be brittle enough to cut like wood.
    Any suggestions??

Bill, I have been using a mask from Harbor Sales (800-345-1712) for the last two years, and it works very well.I use it in exactly the manner you describe above, and it leaves NO residue on highly finished surfaces. You can get it in rolls of 15"x 30', 30"x30',or rolls up to 150'long..They call it their "Paint Mask Film,Economy Spray Mask". I pay about 32 bucks for the 30"x30'roll.
    It is actually an Avery product, part#A1828-S-E, and you might have a local distributor closer than Harbor. Avery has a web site-www.averygraphics.com. Bill P.

Bill Jarvis Guest

Bill,
    Ordered mask yesterday and recieved and tested today. Works great!! Thanks for the tip.

Bill

rossi7@mindspring.com Guest

Having trouble setting up a dxf file for routing. Can either in Siglab or Vector. Sign is overdue. Still learing both, but time is running out. Can anyone lend a hand until i get the hang of this thing>

Matt

jamie@shopbottools.com Guest

Matt,

Call us here at ShopBot 1-888-680-4466
    Jamie can help you with SignLab. Or email
    jamie@shopbottools.com

Thanks!
    Donna
    ShopBot Tools

ron_cleaver Guest

Harbor Sales has a Web site http://www.harborsales.net/

I ordered some Avery paint mask online. I used only the following to search for the item: A1828.

That produced a list of products (different lengths and widths).

Bruce Boehle Guest

To all you veteran signmakers out there. I am trying to do fine detail carvings in furniture but still need to mask them for finishing. I am using the Avery 1828 mentioned here and it will not stay down in the fine areas (fine areas being 1/32" wide). Is there a product with a bit more tack? Maybe some tricks? Thanks, Bruce

Bruce,
    For detailing like that I've used both scotch tape and masking tape. Of course it's a pain to go in with the razor blade/knife and weed it all, but it does work...

Artisan, Industrial Art Company, Little River SC

Your local art store will carry a brushable mask or "resist", used in doing watercolors, that can be applied to small areas and then pulled or rubbed off. It works well for small details....D

Artisan, Industrial Art Company, Little River SC

Hi Bruce, another solution we use here is a paintable mask, available at your local art store. It's used as a "resist" by watercolor artists and can be pulled or rubbed off after the finish is applied....D