Thread: MDF is absorbing all my epoxy...

Default MDF is absorbing all my epoxy...

Hey Guys, I'm trying to weather proof some MDF letters with Epoxy, but the MDF just soaks it up. Is this ok?
    Thanks!

Daniel,

Yes.

I use two coats. Then prime and paint as usual.

DO NOT interupt the surface from there. No screws or nails or it's all for nothing.

Extira is a much better product for exterior letters. Flat out better in almost every way.

Regardless, good luck with your project.

Joe
    www.normansignco.com/workshop.htm

Thanks for the info Joe!
    I checked out your site...Something caught my eye and gave me a good laugh..

Dr. Crumley's Rootin Tootin Snake Oil Mask

Thats funny! I probably could use a bottle or two myself....
    Thanks for the info!

Hi
    Im new in signs works, i will like to know the processes, materials and equipment to give my works very good finishing/spraying
    thanks
    Tokunbo

The Custom Sign Shop / Custom Creations, Flemington NJ

We apply two coats of Shellac prior to applying the 2 coats of epoxy, then prime and paint.

Works well, drys fast and is affordable. We use trupan, never had any issues to date providing you follow this process..

If you use any fastners, etc.. just use the same steps once your completed and you will be fine.

Jim,

I'm proud of you. I've been preaching this technique for years. Your the first who's adopted this technique. However, with MDF, one coat is better because this material is very moisutre sensative. Two coats of shellac prevents the epoxy from getting as good a hold. But any way good to see another Shellac head.

Joe
    www.normansignco./workshop.htm

Thanks Joe, I'm in the shop late tonight cutting out beer mugs, fun....

I thought others were doing it also, or some variation of this process, but I appreciate the recognition.

Anyway, I must confess, I pretty much spray everything using an HVLP gun. Thus I figured 2 coats would work because of the saturation I was getting...

I often spray the MAS epoxy also. I will go up to 4 coats if needed, but normally 2-3 is enough based on some tests I have done in the shop...

Since it is alcohol base (Shellac), does moisture really have an effect on the Shellac or the Epoxy?

The epoxy never really gave me an issue, but my shop is temp and humidity controlled, so maybe that is why...

Also, I noticed with Trupan, the edges (or any milled area) seem to need extra attention.

This is a great technique. I was first told about it during a camp Bill P. was hosting... I would highly recommend it...

Before this I was a sign foam nut... And while I still like HDU, Trupan and Xterra are nice cost effective options for our customers...

Shellac is a great product to use...

http:\www.TheCustomSignShop.com

Jim,

Like you, I use a considerable amount of HDU but option for Extira when ever possible. While Extira is a dream for texturing and hand carving, it won't hold detail for 3D work. That's where Trupan stands out.

I've never used Mass Epoxy. Our friend Bill Palumbo sweaars by it. How do you thin it down enough to spay it?

Joe
    www.normansignco.com/workshop.htm

Lacquer Thinner, 60% MAS and 40% Lacquer Thinner.

Works well.

Extreme care and ventilation when spraying LT. We use a spray booth and proper ventalation, highly recomended.

We called MAS, this was there recomendation.