Making Better Signs,

Years ago, when I purchased my first CNC, which was a 48"X96" PRT, there were very few good software programs. I heard of a couple and purchased Rams and Insignia. I did so for the purpose of doing V-2.5 carving. It was eye poping and when I posted my first signs, the email lighted up. For several years I was selling lots of V Carved signs. I also enjoyed posting my experiments with the latest materials. HDU was fresh on the market. Why would anyone, ever, spend that much money for a piece of foam? Little did I know this was to be a major product in our shop. Then there was MEDEX a exterior fiber boar. Followed by Trupan which was not only a good spoilboard, but it was also excellent for letter carving. Not long after was that heavy, oily, paint resistant Extira. Which I hated at first, then fell in love with. Those were such fun years.

Most of the mail, I currently reveive is with the concern for proper construction. That's a major consideration however it's not anymore important than design. I see lots of signs which need only a few design changes to make them more ledgable, readable and pleasant to view. It's so unfortanate to get all the equipment to make signs with no basic knowledge of layout and design. One of my favorite books is "Mastering Layout" by Mike Stevens. It can be purchased from www.signcraft.com. Although this is a very fundamental book, for example one of his drawing shows how to properly layout a "For Sale By Owner" sign, it touches the fundamental basics which are so necessary. Everyone should do this exercise.

Leon Stovall, One of the fellows who attended my workshop last summer, droped by last week to give me a hand with overdue signs. He stayed a couple of days and really helped out. One eveing, while I was fixing some grub, he spyed my copy of Mastering Layout, and was transfixed. This isn't one of those books which is a quick read. He picked it up several times over the next two days. I gone over it from time to time. I believe Raymond Chapman has also recommended it also.

Although it's good to know the Elements and Principals of Design, it's of little application during the design process. For example, knowing "Unity, Dominance, Variety, Harmony, Contrast, etc." are good for evaluation and referance, I don't know of any artists who consider them part of layout and design process. However when I get stumped with a drawing and can't seem to get it right, a quick review of the principal are very helpful.

I have a question for you! Have you ever looked at one of your drawings, knowing something isn't quiet right? Or when you see a beautiful, drop dead, but simple sign, what makes it sing! I'ts the design elements and principals that make it happen. I could go on for ever about the subject but let me give one simple but important Principal. "Dominance". Every sign should have one element that is dominant. It stands away from every thing else. This can be accomplished by size, contast, depth, etc. But that one part of the sign is where the eye goes first. It's necessary!

I would encourage everyone to spend more time on layout.

Joe