Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sign Business is Hurting in My Neck of the Woods...

Default Sign Business is Hurting in My Neck of the Woods...

I haven't had a decent order in 2 months. (I thought I had, but they fell through.) Some small stuff as usual, but no big money makers. Seems like everyone is either broke or unwilling to spend any money. This time last year I was up to my eyeballs making entrance signs for new subdivisions. I haven't cut one of those in 6 months.

I know it's not just me. I buy my materials from Aluma-Panel, my nearest sign supply company. They have always delivered for free twice a week for orders of $200.00 or better, but no more. They are now adding a surcharge for ANY delivery no matter if it's for $100.00 or $1,000.00. I asked the delivery driver why and he talked about the price of fuel, which I understand (who doesn't?), but what shook me up was when he went on to explain that this time last year he would have anywhere from 16 to 20 stops on both weekly delivery days and now he leaves Aluma-Panel with 3 or 4 stops twice a week. MAN!

I do a lot of sub work for local small sign shops that need my CNC services. They are all hurting with sales and cash flow problems. This time last year they were all in high cotton (myself included). What's going on? I've tightened my belt buckle and I'm buying beans now instead of steaks! lol

What's it gonna take? A new president?

*Spin control* I'm just stating how it is around here. If YOU are in high cotton in the sign business wherever you are, congrats!

This is the perfect time to get that vacuum table up and running, clean up the shop and take care of those projects you didn't have time to deal with last year. That way, when the next big order comes in (and it will) you will be ready.

And make some killer samples!
    And do some serious fishing!
    This is your time. Tomorrow may keep busy for a month. No time for samples or fishing.

GC Carpentry & Custom Woodworking, Peabody MA

My carpentry business is down also, and I DID decide it was time to do some serious fishing . . . but then I realized I couldn't afford the gas for my boat!

Joe, yes I am making samples but I can't really wanna do what I wanna do for samples until I get a vacuum table installed so's I can cut small letters out of Polymetal and Sintra and save my fingers! A lot of neat things can be done, but ya gotta get SMALL often times. And I've been goin' fishin', (always), but the fish are just like the customers lately,....AIN'T BITING! lol

Speaking of a vacuum table, David, I haven't slept for 10 days but I think I've finally figured out how to have 4 Imperial motors running at once in series with no heat problems. Behold the "Final Solution":

[IMG]http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...alSolution.jpg[/IMG]

Yep, I finally figured it out. It took me a while, but I didn't go to M.I.T. for 12 years for nothing!

That's right. That's right. ;-)

Mark...
    You have entirely too much time on your hands!!!
    That is probably the K.I.S.S. principle at MIT
    Good Job!
    Gary

Mark,

I don't have a vacuum hold down either.
    Those dang old fish.
    I miss seeing photo's of the Arab Prince Bandar lolling around the whitehouse, sitting on the arm of a sofas. Arms around GWB like family. Making himself at home.

I need to do somtehing fun! Working seven days a week, for months leaves me tired.

Mark,
    Does it hold down wood and keep beer cold at the same time? It looks like your time at M.I.T. was well spent!
    Bruce

You know what, Joe? I love to work because I love MY work, and I suspect (I KNOW!), that you are much the same. The term 'retirement' is not in my personal vocabulary. My work makes me happy as well as makes me money. Without it, I don't know what I'd do even if'n I was rich.

I'll be 56 in 2 weeks. Some of my older friends are already retired and the rest are talking about it. None of them are rich. The ones that are already retired lay around the house and watch TV all day and complain about boredom as they get fatter and softer. Their interest dwindle as their waist lines get bigger. They wake up every morning with nothing more to do but turn on the TV and complain about the bad news. I'm a witness.

Things are sucking right now but I know they'll get better and I'll be here still and more ready than ever when they do. Sign making is in my blood. I'll make 'em till I drop dead and call that 'retirement'.

*All this does NOT mean that I won't buy a big Harley one day and HAVE SOME FUN!*

Bruce, yes, it should do all of that and more. I need two more check valves and one more ball valve and a 4-way Tee to implement a robotic floor vacuum system for the house (as well as the shop).

I already have a patent and I'll be going public soon with stock options. We're ALL gonna get RICH!!!