Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Software

cpassion@pinn.net Guest

Default Software

After using the software on hand I am finding short falls in the use of each program. MS PAint, Part Wizard & Turbo CAd are a few I own. I am looking for a program that will allow me to create a sign with text and art then print it for customer approval and make a cutting file. Art may be from a sketch or an imorted file.

The process I now use is to take the customers idea from a sketch scan it into Paint turn it into a .bmp file , import it to Turbo cad, trace the import as a layer, save the layer as a DXF file import to Part Wizard and Make a cut.

To show the customer the scale of the sign and color I have to import to Phot Shop 5 apply colors and print, scan and import to Paint, save as a .bmp and send via email.

Can anyone tell me software options or shortcuts?

Artisan, Industrial Art Company, Little River SC

Jef, Coreldraw will do all the things you are looking for....so long as you only need 2 dimensional renderings. I own some topflight programs, capable of 3D renderings and part files, but I find myself using Corel for 95% of my concept drawings. The files can then be later exported as DXF files into other software once the job is in hand to create toolpaths. If you'll email me, I'll send you some examples....D

magickeith Guest

Jef, I'm going to go along with Darrell and put in a recommendation for Corel Draw. I work in a sign shop and I own a ShopBot. We use Corel Draw and CasMate Pro at work, I own Part Wizard and my sign design choice would be Corel Draw.

Do the layout in Corel, print your proof, then export the file as a DXF (AutoCad) file. Import the file into Part Wizard to create your tool paths and generate your ShopBot code.

You can generate toolpaths with Corel, I did it for a long time but it's no where near as elegant (or as fast) as using a toolpath program such as Part Wizard. Part Wizard falls pretty short as a design program but if your wallet is feeling a little frisky you could upgrade to ArtCam which uses pretty much the same interface as Part Wizard. Your learning curve would probably be shorter because you already know how to navigate Part Wizard and time is money sometimes. Your learning curve with Corel would probably be longer but it can do the job and more.

Keith

jay_mack1@hotmail.com Guest

What formats can Part Wizard save to?

Does it just save to a ShopBot part file?

bret@thesignpeople.net Guest

Does anybody else have trouble when you export a DXF files from CorelDraw,where it leave a series of chords instead of a smooth curve. Also sometimes it doubles over a section of line on itself.

export your Corel file as Autocad version 9. This will aid in this problem.
    Dale

Two other "extra" programs that look very promising for presentation are Corel Design.... a more mechanical version of CorelDraw... sort of like CorelDraw meets TurboCad, and Sketchup. Corel Design is more precise than CorelDraw, thus the drawings can be more complex and you can easily add in all your annotations and measurements. Many of the functions are identical to CorelDraw and it's not tough to learn. Sketchup on the other hand, is like nothing else out there. It is worthless for toolpaths in it's current version, but the ease of sketching in 3D is very valuable for working out problems and making eye catching presentations. Clients are always "WOWed" when they see the idea in 3D and Sketchup is far and away the easiest thing I've ever used. Presentation is the key to making a sale and beating out the "other guys". It paid for itself in the first month. Just some thoughts while the printer is running....D

John Fouillard Guest

One program that is never mentioned here is Canvas by Deneba (now ACD). Easy learning curve, saves in many different formats including DXF

Another note on Corel....Corel Tip #??? I just created a "part file" on the fly in CorelDraw. I was making some Gatorfoam and Aluminum 3D letters for a local shop that was in a real bind. I didn't bother creating toolpaths, (I usually do this in Visualmill), but just pasted the DXF file right to Shopbot's built in converter. As I said....I was in real rush. I was a little worried because I don't use a vacuum hold down, and there were 4 "inside" areas that needed to be cut first. I just planned to stand over the Bot and use whatever holdowns that were necessary. The center ring in the letter "O" for example. I highlighted all the inside areas and assigned them the color Black...#39 in the program. I then assigned the rest of the lines the color Red....#20 in the program. I was pleasantly surprised to see the Bot cut the insides First (color # 39) each time...as it came to each letter.... The job was designed, cut and out the door in 25 minutes. Just another nifty thing about Corel and the Bot .....D

mlander@mninter.net Guest

Hello,
    Does anyone here know how to printout examples of all the fonts installed on your computer? I would like to show people so they can easily choose the font they want.

Thanks