Thread: Assigning Tools to Operations

Default Assigning Tools to Operations

I am trying to set up my first test cut with the link and I have defined 3 operations in the TWD file . There is the outline , drilling of holes and pocketing of KD/RTA fillings . The outline is obviuos to set up but I am not sure how to ensure their are tools defined to do the other operations . I have a 1/4" bit for outlines and it will be used for the pockets as well and I have an air drill for the drilling operation . I set up a tool for drilling with the correct diamater but it doesn't seem to be recognized . Any tips appreciated ..

Thanks Bill

Bill...
    When you say "it does not seem to be recognized" when is this happening?
    Gary

The outline cuts show up on the nest diagram . The KD fittings now show up but it compains 'Couldn't find tool to work for pocket operationon Left End 1' I get a warning for each of the 5mm holes I need to drill and no drillings show up on the nested diagram .

Under tooling I have Operation 1 , Tool 1 with Type of drill and diammater of .2699" which is my 5 mm hole. Maybe it is confused in thinking of a drilling operation where maybe it should be a pocket ??? Not sure how to be sure it know the operation is handled by the air drill . The outline tool number is also 1 . Could that be a problem ?

Bill...
    a 5mm drill bit should have a diameter of .197" (.1969"). That is the most likely reason for the warnings.

Your 1/4" bit will interpolate and pocket RTA fittings, but must be set up in a specific way as per the instructions.

If your outline tool number is number "1" any other tool MUST have a different number, and that number must match the assigned tool numbers from your "virtual toolchanger" fles that apply to the head configuration that the tool is mounted in. Those "toolchanger" files are the C6, C7 and C9. Depending on the configuration of your drill, (PRT, PRS, PRS with 2nd valve for air, etc) there is a different setup to make each work properly. MY versions of the toolchanger files DO NOT use any numbers less than 11 for these tools. I am fairly sure that the ShopBot versions are similar.

I have a coulumn in the works for a few weeks that explains this and another ready to go that should help you tune these files for your specific use, but as of yet havent been posted online.
    Gary

Gary , thanks for all your help in getting the Link operational . That help and the quick turn around of questions and fixes from Thermwood got me going . Your C6,C7 and C9 files worked flawlessly the first time and my air drill works as it did previously with my extra relay solution for turning on the drill . More hurdles to get over but a big one is under my belt . As with any new peice of software their are challenges. I would not honestly tell anyone they would have the Link working in a short period of time but it is well worth it when you get their . After 3 weeks of learning and trying various things I am getting close to cutting my first job with this software but still a bit anxious of the results as with anything new in the shop.

Glad to hear you are up and running Bill.
    Gary