Thread: Question on cutting ScotchLite

Default Question on cutting ScotchLite

I've had a request to make some signs using ScotchLite, 3M's reflective vinyl tape, on the border and v-carved letters. I know I can cut vinyl paint mask cleanly without much trouble, but I've never cut this material. Intuitively, I would thing that it would not be problem, but before I order this stuff, I would sure like to hear from someone who has used it.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Matt

Matt,

Scotchlite is a little tough. You might find it helpful to do a couple of 1" tests cuts to get the pressure right. I like to do a 1" capital "E" to check for easy weeding.

You may also find it helpful to do multiplal passes, if a single cut won't isn't enough. I find it necessary to replace the blade on my Summa D60 after a couple of Scotchlite jobs.

I use Diamond Grade Scotchlite allot (making road construction signs). I've never cut it on the plotter, I always use it as background. In the rare case I use it for letters I put it down as background. Then cut & weed the letters & apply the standard vinyl as background over the scotchlite. Much easier on plotter blades. Detour arrow is one sign I've done this way.

Joe and Gary,

Perhaps I was unclear in my question. I was talking about cutting it with a 60 degree V bit on the Shopbot, just like I would do if I were using a vinyl paint mask. It sounds like you're talking about a knife in a vinyl cutter or plotter.

Joe, certainly a few test cuts are in order, no doubt about that. Your suggestion of the capital "E" is a good one. No sense in not following the recommendations from a master!!

Matt

Never done that before either, but I know that stuff has some very aggressive glue. My guess is, it would cut clean because I doubt it would pull loose. The only problem I can foresee is the bit clogging up with the the scotchlite glue. One other possible problem might be if you plan to paint the v-cut after your routering. Getting paint on the cut edge of the scotchlite, the paint will bleed into the edge. I use 1/2'' MDO board for construction sign substrate sometimes. I've tried touching up the edge of the MDO with black latex and it bleeds between the scotchlite layers. Maybe seal the edges with clear, let dry & then paint?

Gary, it surprises me that latex paint would bleed into the edge, especially since the Scotchlite is almost always used outdoors where it will get wet. This is certainly going to require some testing of techniques before I proceed. Sealing with clear before painting sounds like a good idea.

I appreciate the suggestions.

Matt

I was surprised too. Oil base I could understand, but the latex bleeds under the edge almost immediately. The factory suggests heat sealing any cut edges to seal against the weather. Who's got time for that?
    Good luck with your project.