Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spray painting

Default Spray painting

What brand and model of spray gun would you recommend for a first purchase? It would be used mostly for water based paint such as latex.
    Earl

Earl,
    Gonna paint the town are ya? ;-)
    Shari

Shari- Just finished a second 2x8 sign and the brush streaks are not acceptable. Fortunately, the signs are far enough away from the streets that the streaks are not visible.
    I don't have background in spraying and need a starting point on the equipment.
    Then, I'll paint the town red...
    Earl

Earl,

What types of paints are you looking to use?

I am looking at a Fuji Spray HVLP system. Most of my work is going to be cabinets with it, but also thinking of using it to spray signs. I am not sure yet what type of paints I will use. I am considering latex and acrylics. Maybe even oil bases.

Just my thoughts.

Jay

Whispering Pines Innovations LLC, Grand Rapids MN

Earl,

I used to paint homes. New construction and repaints inside and out. Look at Capspray http://www.spraytechinc.com/SprayTEC...71.pdf#search='capspray'
    I have one of the cup guns that I have used for a good number of years and have had no problem with it. I use it with a 2.5 gal. pot some of the time but you have to deal with the hose cleanup when you are done and for small jobs the hose itself holds more paint than you will use. In that case I use the cup. You would need to change tips for the type of paint you use. Big hole for latex, it has rocks in it. :>) I would not recomend airless myself for this type of application. A good HVLP system is a few bucks I think I paid over $300 just for the gun. I have never tried them but Harbor Freight has some low buck gravity feed HVLP guns for around $40 (on sale) and some are supposed to spray latex. If you buy a system I would say go for a 4 stage turbine over a 3 and stay away from the guns that operate off a standard aircompressor. It takes LOTS of volume so a big comprssor and then you have condensation problems in the air supply you have to deal with.

There are paint suppliers in most areas that deal CapSpray and Graco and have systems for rent. Rent one for a job and try it out befor you buy.

Jay,
    From most of the posts on the forum, I'm thinking of latex and acrylics. I prefer to stay with water based finishes and avoid solvent/oil bases for the hazards and restrictions.
    Please bear with me for the basic questions that may seem simple or obvious to the more experienced amoung you. But, what is a HVLP sprayer? Does it require a compressor or is it electric?
    Thank you in advance for your time and indulgence.
    Earl

Earl, for background spraying, I've been using one of these for 4 years.

http://www.gleempaint.com/paint-crew-770.html

Signs of the Times in Brighton, Brighton Ontario

Earl, for a first purchase go for a low buck gravity fed HVLP gun with a 1.7 mm needle from Harbour Freight. $28 bucks. HVLP meaning high volume low pressure.I have used one for onsite refinishing, spraying waterborne polyurethanes and latex for years. A 2 hp (15 amp)piston compessor with a tank will run as long as you are spraying but gets the job done and well. The 500 mil cups are a couple of bucks each and at the end of each colour I just pour water in it and spray until it comes clear then screw the cup off and throw in a pail to wash back at the shop with hot soapy water. Very little overspray, easy to adjust, easy to clean and when (if) the parts ever wear out,toss it and buy another. We now find that even in the shop and the booth we are starting to use them all the time. The paint pumps are a royal pain to set properly since as mentioned latex comes with rocks included. 25 feet of hose is always needing to be washed out and if your going to clear coat then the hose hose has to be spotless.More often than not there is more paint in the tank, lines and guns than what is needed on the product. Our regular guns like the Devilbiss have more overspray and spitting than I can stand; and in the end the quality of your finishes is more a product of your prep work than the gun. Those $28 guns are worth every cent and then some. 'specialy' if your just starting to learn how to spray, they are so easy to adjust. I even use them for MAS epoxy and wash them out with vinegar. A 2x8 panel, both sides took 5 minutes and 200 mils of epoxy. With a brush it was 500 mils of epoxy and a half hour.
    my two cents worth.

Terry

Earl,

The spray system I am looking at is a HVLP 3 or 4 stage turbine. With what Ted is talking about, probably would be the 4 stage. This does not require a compressor, as its self-contained.

Check out fujispray dot com

I've got a gravity fed spray, it didn't give me much luck. I was spraying a white latex, for a vanity. I got a nice finish, if you wanted the textured look. I'd add water to get it down.. but I probably wasn't adding enough.. and had quite a mess from adding and thinning. Though after I was done with the project, I was told about Flowtec. Would have liked to give it a try. The next "white" vanity that I need to do, will be done with lacquers.

Jay

Earl,

It often helps to filter your paint or finish material before spraying in an HVLP gun. This is especially true with Latex type finishes. I filter everything that goes into mine. This gets the rocks out of the latex.
    You can also thin latex somewhat, though you need to be careful of overthinning. Getting the material to the right consistency is a little tricky at first, but it is something that you develop a feel for.

Here is a list of Fine woodworking articles about spraying that might be helpful too:

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/dtSearch/searchResults.aspx?page=1&query=HVLP&index =All+FineWoodWorking.com&channel=All%20Fin eWoodWorking.com

Jay