Thread: Continuation: Need direction

Default Continuation: Need direction

With much help and guidance from Glen Peterson ( a public thank you ) I am almost finished with my REMAX sign.

Problem: I have cut and pieced a 10', 1/2" pre primed MDO board. (10' x 18" ) I have routed the edges with a 1/2" cove so I have exposed edges. Do I have to seal them first or will Bear Exterior paint w/ built in primer be sufficient? If anyone is recommending a sealant what should I use?

Problem #2: What would you recommend to attach the painted HDU letters to the painted MDO? I have West end 2 part adhesive or plain clear silicone. Suggestions?

Thanks,
    Lynn

you should fill any voids with bondo (sand), then seal the edge with a wood glue, then prime and paint. (this is the recommended method).

I have had great results sealing the edge with "Alex plus" caulk. Its a latex caulk with silicone. Its far better than a latex caulk, yet paintable. The 100% silicone caulks are NOT paintable. I have exterior signs that look great after 6 years using this method.

Lynn,
    Please post your finished project as my real estate agent of 25 years has his own ReMax agency and i'd love to see it and show him.

How do you seal the edges with glue? Do you roll it on?

Does it not crack?

Any extra info would be great.

Thanks

RIB

Thanks for the replies.

John, where do you purchase Alex caulk. I learned the hard way you can't paint silicone.

What about adhering the HDU to the MDO. Any suggestions for that? I know Joe C. says silicone but I don't know if regular window/door silicone also has adhesive qualities or if there is a specific type of silicone to use.

Is Richard right John, brush or roll on the wood glue? I used a foam brush and it worked fine.

Thanks, everyone

Lynn,

The weakest part of the sign will be it's edges. Sealing these off is a matter of prerferance. At my shop we use a foam roller but down to about an inch and roll on two good coats of epoxy. Then smear on some exterior caulk and smooth up with the finger.

GE Silicone 1 which can be purchased at most hardwares is a good choice to apply letters.

Thanks, Joe, that answers both my questions.

Lynn, Titebond 2 or 3 glue works best on the edges. Brush it on, lightly sand, prime & paint. I have never seen it crack.

As for attaching HDU to MDO, the silicone would work fine. If you have any concerns, I would mark out where the letters will be going, then put some finishing nails into the MDO and cut the heads off, leaving about 1/4 to 1/2" (depends on the thickness of your letters) to push into your HDU....along with the silicone.

Edit to add: You can purchase the "Alex plus" or Titebond from most hardware stores.
    http://www.titebond.com/IntroPageTB.....asp?prodcat=1
    Last edited by JohnG; 04-19-2010 at 05:17 PM.

Hey Lynn good to hear your almost done. I thought you were raising the letters off the mdo backer? Your welcome for the help. That is what this forum is and great about. If you need help, ask and someone will do what they can. Everyone is very helpful but when it comes to sign advice Joe Crumley is one of the best in the business. Look forward to your pics.

Glen