Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sandblast texture

Default Sandblast texture

Hey folks, this seems to be an old issue (according to my search). I have a possible job for 25+ signs for two Medical office buildings. Currently the signs are a hodge-podge of designs and management wants them all standardized (lucky me). What I need to make is:
    7.25" x 30", Pocketed letters (1st Line: Name, 2nd line: specialty) with a sandblasted woodgrain backround.
    I have tried the Texture tool in Aspire,but doesn't look right. I read about using a photo of woodgrain to create a 3D texture. Anyone care to offer some suggestions? Thanks folks
    Michael

If your using Aspire, you can import any woodgrain texture bitmap to use for the background. If they want that many signs why not just make them from wood and blast them.
    I put the sandblast tape on the wood and cut around the letters and border with a 1/8" bit, then pocket the background down about 1/4" deep.
    Then you just need to lightly blast to expose the grain. If you use Aspire to make woodgrain texture, on some other type of material, it's going to take a looooooong time to machine that many sign panels.
    john www.signgraphics1.com

John's described the process I use too.

I haven't seen very many woodgrain textures made with a CNC that looks believable.

[IMG]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...withrouter.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...esComplete.jpg[/IMG]

Joe
    www.normansignco.com

Thank You, I was afraid that was the correct way to do it. I've never sandblasted anything smaller then a Navy Destoyer, but it would solve this dilemma. Love learning new skills. I am always trying to get the Bot to do it all. Thanks again.

How do you prevent the mask from peeling up wood?

The mask is made for raw wood. I spray a little extra spray mist adhesive on the wood first. The kind you use to hold T Shirts in place while printing, not the 3M Super Strength stuff Heartco HGS425 tape.
    You can order from SignWarehouse 800-899-5655.
    Don't blast it yourself, it's a dirty, nasty job. The blasting is very quick and cheap part of thr process. It's best to take it to a blaster. Ask me why I don't blast my own anymore!!!

Richard,

Your concern is a valid one. During the heat of the summer it can be a big problem if the blasting takes too long and embeds the SB mask.

Like John says, it only takes a little blasting and should be done with very, very fine grit. You gotta be there to say woooo to some blasters. They are used to cleaning rust off of metal. It take a little more deliclate touch.

I allways sand the surface after blasting. I don't think you'll have a problem.

If you do, lets blame old man Arnott!

Joe
    WWW.normansignco.com

Michael,

You could use HDU and sandblast it using a Grain-Fraim http://www.meyerplastics.com/signand..._tools_sht.htm. You could make one since it is just a series wires stretched across a frame that you lay over the piece you want to sandblast. HDU is a more stable material then wood is, although the size you are doing, it shouldn't be a problem with wood either.

Jerry

People would wreck way finding signs made out of foam.

RIB

Here is my latest attempt at this effect/texture. It has been bugging me for awhile, always at the back of my mind to do this. please comment;

47880.jpg