Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dadoes

Default Dadoes

Does anyone know if the software allows for a cleanup pass on blind dadoes. I chose a .06" in settings for the cleanup pass but it doesn't do an extra pass. I think I get a bit of deflection and end up with tight dadoes as well as a slight ridge on the face of the panel where the tenon is.(approx 1/32) This results in cabinets about 1/16 oversize as well as a tiny gap at the front and back of the cabinet between the deck and the side.
    Lorin

Lorin...
    I believe you are confusing "clearance" for "cleanup".

When you set a side CLEARANCE for your dados, this is the extra amount that is taken out on the sides for material variation and glue.

The same is true of the depth clearance setting, it is an extra amount to allow for glue and/or variations beyond what the tenon is cut when using blind dados.

Adding clearance will not result in an extra "cleanup" pass similar to what is common with an area clear operation using a CadCAM vector based application.

For comparison, I use .010-.012 for a side clearance and .015 to .020 for a depth clearance. This has resulted in very nice joints. I would even be tempted to use these as a glue only joint should the need arise.

Can you explain better the location of the ridge you describe on the face of the panel? THere may be a cutting strategy to eliminate this.
    Gary

Thank you
    I meant .006 not .06. I see what you mean and I will increase these to get an easier assembly.
    The ridge is from a slight bit of deflection of the cutter I think. The tenons are cut to depth in one pass while the cut out is done in 2. This results in the front and back of these panels with blind dado joinery being cut to exact size but the part above the tenon on the blind dado joint being slightll larger. A thought I had is to do these in 2 passes until I can justify a spindle and a drill. For now possibly my router and 5mm compression bit may have to much deflection.
    Lorin

oops. I was right in original post. When in settings in shopbot link it was .06" set for cleanup pass in dadoes.
    What settings do others use.(for all the settings in dado section)
    thank you
    Lorin

I am still having trouble with tight dadoes. I changed my side clearance to 1/80" (.0125). Still to tight. I wonder if anyone has ideas. My next thought was to set max depth on dadoes to .25 for my dadoes to force a second pass.
    Also I found out I should use a collar value other than zero in my settings as the bit deflection on my climb passes affects cut quality on the part next to it and leaves it bevelled in in the middle. Oh well, live and learn.
    Lorin

I use .020 clearance sides and depth.
    I also go .375 deep for all dados.

I also use .25 for collar.

Will try with these settings when I next need to cut.
    Thank you
    Lorin

Make sure your bits measure out correctly. If your bits are .003" undersized, you are actually looking at a dado that will be .006" too small. Also try using conventional cutting with the same file...it will change things. Also if I am looking for more accuracy I reduce my depth of cut and speed. Do some searches...I know I have posted and asked a lot of questions on this sort of topic.

I had a close look at the dadoes and the ends are slightly wider than the rest. It must be bit deflection. I will try 2 passes and see how it goes.

Lorin...
    What model/age is your machine? Spindle/Router/RPM? Bit size? Move Speed? These parameters may help solve or reduce your problem.
    Gary