Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dadoes

I have a prt 96. 2006 model., I have a 3.5 hp milwaukee router and set the rpm at around 12-14000 rpm. I am cutting with a 5mm compression fron centurion at 150 ipm.
    Lorin

Lorin...
    At those speeds, there is no reason to have anything but near perfect cuts. Check to see if you have any loose mechanical items, or if your pinions may be worn. I have just replaced the pionions on my 2007 PRSa, and even tho I couldnt see or measure any difference with a mic, there was a noticble increase in cut quality.

Another note, at speeds less than 5ips (300ipm) you will not get any noticable deflection from a 5mm bit. My guess is that you have something in the mechanical end that is causing the cut problems.
    Gary

I am replacing my router as soon as the new one arrives. It has a bit of play in the z direction and possibly in the xy. It probably has 250-300 hours on it so I am trying a new one. It seems as if my whole z axis flexes slightly if I put pressure on it at the base of the router pushing in the x direction. I think this is normal though. I have just replaced my x and y pinions. For now I may just pocket hole my next job and then play around when I have time.
    Thank you
    Lorin

Lorin...
    This is of course unscientific, but when I experienced similar problems, I used a dial indicator magneted down to a foot square steel plate on the table, set against a 1/2" drill rod in the collet, and using a fish scale pulled on the drill rod about 25 lbs in every direction. I then moved up and checked the Z extrusion, YZ car and finally the end plates of the gantry (PRS) to find where the loose parts were.

I would surprised to see how much dial indicator movement showed up on sections that "felt" tight. Most of my problems were in the Z roller wheels, some in the YZ car wheels, some in the YZ car pinions. When all was adjusted, there was a major decrease in what I thought was bit deflection. It turned out to be a maintenence issue.

Like I said above, it is highly unlikey that you are experiencing deflection at those speeds, it is more likely that something is out of adjustment. This, of course, could mean your router bearings is one of the culprits.
    Gary