Thread: Using SHOPBOT OS with other machines

Mike twombley Guest

Default Using SHOPBOT OS with other machines

I am building a CNC Router using precision slides and anti-backlash screws to optimise repeatabilty. Not that there is an inherent problem with the Shopbot, I am planning on doing precision cutting of mother of pearl and abalone inlays that may be beyond the units level of precision.

Can the Shopbot OS work with a machine that is based on Gecko G210 drives and Superior KML091F13 stepper motors.

In particular I like the digitizing probe and software available from Shopbot for future 3D modeling work

rgbrown@itexas.net Guest

Mike,

The ShopBot system connects the OS and drivers. ShopBot's system (I think) will run just about any stepper motor that is not greater than its' amperage capacity. I don't know the capacities of the drivers but I'm sure if you contacted ShopBot directly, they could guide you or suggest the proper motors for your application.

The ability to plot is nice.

Ron Brown - rgbrown@itexas.net

"In general the art of government consists in taking as much money as possible from one class of citizens to give to the other."
    --Voltaire

Bob Neitzke 360-795-3621, 275 Columbia St Cathlamet WA 98612

Shopbot SW operates on a PC in DOS or Windows mode.
    Then in turn it sends commands via RS232 to it's proprietary Microprocessor based controller
    which in turn sends the 4 phase signals to a power driver chips for each stepper motor.
    IF !!! the Gecko will accept "4 phase" inputs as opposed to "STEP and DIRECTION" then the SB outputs might be interfaceable with your system.

Ted Hall, ShopBot Tools Guest

Hi Mike,

Yes... As Bob indicates, from our control box there is 2A bipolar stepper output if you want to drive motors. However, one stage earlier on the board, you can access the STEP and DIRECTION signals to run the Gecko's directly (though it is a bit of a waste of the drivers built into the board and requires soldering plus a few pull-up resistors.)

Give us a call if you're interested in development kit pricing.

mike twombley Guest

Ted

Ah hah! Integral drivers!
    I guess the real question is: I would like to utilize your digitizing probe and software on a machine other than a Shopbot. Is that possible? or is the probe and software an "extension" of your CNC controller hardware and software suite?

Mike Twombley