Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best bang for the advertising dollar?

Lots of good advice from everyone, and I'll consider every word of it. I'm definitely doing the vehicle wrap, but I'm going to limit yellow pages to a one or two line entry for carved signs with my website included.

I talked with the vehicle wrap guy Saturday, and I just have to let him know what to say in the wrap. I'm debating whether to focus the wrap solely on carved/3d signs or to also include cnc machining, completed Tolman skiffs and skiff kits, and wooden carriage house overhead doors. Realistically even in a good economy I could see it taking a couple years to break in to the sign business. In the meantime just one boat building job would keep me busy for several months, and a good door order for a couple weeks. They're a good way to keep cash flowing, yet still allow me to make signs as the orders come in. On the other hand, I don't want to dilute the carved sign message on the side of my van with a bunch of unrelated services. I'd be interested in other opinions about this.

I've already started to network the sign and cnc business at every opportunity. I've had samples hanging since last November in the showrooms of my favorite lumberyard, door and window supplier, and two craft stores we've done remodeling for. I also have a list of 25-30 high end builders who I've built carriage house doors for over the last ten years. I'm going to do a direct mailing to them. I'm going to make a 4'x6' two sided sign for the local community library for the cost of materials only. I aim to get a little free publicity in the local paper after it's been installed.

Jim

Some advice for your vehicle wrap:

Remember, more is less. Most folks only have 3 to 5 seconds to read your message.

Wraps are great advertising tools if they are done properly. Many I've seen are a waste of time and money because you can't read them. Make sure that whatever you consider the priority message is clearly readable and has the greatest contrast with the background. Keep everything simple.

"KISS"

Keep It Simple Stupid

Erminio

I made some small wood business card holders with a lumber company's logo on them. I made three, and stacked them full of my cards. I told them when my cards run out the card holders are theirs to keep. They took me 20 minutes to route, and 30 minutes to assemble and finish. Within a month I hooked a $3K job.

Jim,

It's an interesting read from Dan Sawatski "Lessons and results from our first trade show" on http://www.letterville.com/ubb

I've often thought about making a neat trade show display for the Farm and Ranch business. Here in Oklahoma the fairground has all sorts of animal competitions each weekend. I've dreamed up several Marlboro themes. Great western photo's, ropes, an old saddle, perhaps a wagon wheel, or something like that. You get the idea! Then I'd have a few rustic, carved signs to show what we do. I'd have some handouts with a half dozen sign shapes. The prices would be on some of the small ones. I have one of those big belt buckes they wear. I could dude up.

I know the phone would ring off the hook.
    -
    -
    -
    -
    I'm thinking, hold on.
    -
    -
    -
    Nope I'm not gonna do it. I'm covered up with work now and it would turn into a nightmare.

Joe, The Rodeo belt buckle would be bigger than you!

Yow Ken,

That and a big western hat and I'd be an irresistable chick magnet.

Still, it bears considering a trade show that's targeted to a specific market. Broadcast advertising is hard to justify for a small shop like mine.

Up to now I've haven't even lettered up my truck. I did however take out a half page ad in the yellowbook a few years ago. It paid for itself, $1,200 a month. But it wasn't worth the effort. Most of the calls didn't end up as sales.
    I'm not too fond of yellowbook and glad to see the computer taking it's place.

success for me is this. A good strong cup of coffee in the morning, a nice quiet day with plenty of creative work, and a good sale to wind up on.

If I woke up in heaven, it would be just like my shop is now. With the floors needing to be swept, tools which need to be put up, and a nice call from a customer ever now and again. It doesn't get much better than that.

I "rent" window space from shops in other towns and put up a nice sign. Bartering may be a better term as usually I manage to do something for them and keep my $ in my pocket. It works out well for me.

Lots of good ideas here. One more I haven't seen is printed literature. You can do some pretty nice work on any of your graphic software but photos of the real thing are best.
    The vistaprint on line design and order concept is easy, quick, and cheap so once you have a portfolio, simple 3 fold fliers or even mailing post cards are a very cost effective tool. Often better than business cards in terms of visuals and you can target your marketing efforts directly to your old and new customers/prospects.

I am trying to find out more about Mr. Crumleys design workshop mentioned in Jim Shulas post. Can anyone help?

New bot buddy here. Still tying to get my spoilboard attached.