Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Indoor cutouts

Default Indoor cutouts

I have 5 fairly large indoor cut outs that need to be routed then mounted to the interior walls. These include 2 logos and various sized letters that make up a string of words in different locations.

My question is what would be the best material to use? These are going inside a high school on drywall. I may be able to find studs, but I can't guarantee that.

I was first thinking signfoam (1/2" to 1"), but maybe I could use MDF. Then again, maybe MDF is too heavy for the larger logos. I want everything to be of the same material since they will be painted to match the schools colors (dark green).

The logos are approx 3-4 feet high and 2-3 feet wide, while the letters are only about 16" in height.

Any advice on the type of material and paint type to use would be helpful.

Thanks

Bonita Wood Shop, Spring Valley California

Hi Mike,
    Try 1/2" ULDF (Ultra Light density fiberboard) I had occassion to use this stuf to make internal arches for an interior structure for a cabinet guy. It is really light, cuts like a dream and is about as strong as regular MDF, but it doesn't have much integrety when something is screwed into it. I used a 2 ce upcut sprial, but you should probably use a downcut if the surface is exposed. To paint it, just use primer and paint with interior latex or oil.
    Jim

What about wear. Will they be subject to markers or students puting their hand on them?

Probably Dibond is the material I'd consider.

Since they will be within arms reach of students I need something that can withstand some abuse and of course washing.

I am thinking that since expanded PVC comes in dark green and 1/2" I could use that. No need to paint and can withstand some pretty strong blows.
    Also, this material cuts well.

We use Sintra for jobs like this. It is easy to paint and mount with Silicone, and its pretty tough.

Mike,

The good thing about PVC is, as you stated, is really tough. Unfortunate the color green looks cheap and ugly much like grade school construction paper green.

Dibond painted with any good auto paint will work.

What method of installation will you use.

Joe, your probably correct in the color. After looking at it, it is not the best choice. So I may just go with Dibond.

Re install, these will go up on a wall (drywall). I haven't done these before so what do you recommend?

We have installed PVC and DiBond with VHB tape and silicone with good results - the VHB holds everything in place until the silicone sets up. There's no hardware showing.

With the size you described it might be better to add French clips to the back - still no hardware showing but they will not be flat against the wall.

Or you could just put plain old screws into the drywall and still use some type of adhesive.

Dang it, Chapman always jumps in just when I'm planning to post something.

Mike, here's a consideration: When those come down how bad is the wall going to look with big patches of the wall come with them?

Perhaps some small plastic molly's should be considered. Paint the heads of the screws in advance. That will be $5.00 please.

Joe

As usual, Joe is one step ahead of me. He is considering the shape of the wall if the signs have to be removed. His idea of the small, plastic anchors is a good one....even with the heads showing. You might be able to place the screws in a dark portion of the layout so that they wouldn't show as much.

Joe...you posted at 8:42 - isn't that past your bedtime?