Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Painting Wood

Default Painting Wood

I'm not sure where to post this question. I'm carving wood with 2 1/2D patterns. I want to add just a "hint" of color now and then to certain parts. I don't want it to look painted - just as if it got a little color wash applied. But I also want the wood stain to be the dominant color. Like a glint of green on a tree, etc. Not real noticeable but it's there if you look close. I don't have a clue how to even begin to do this. Any ideas? If I want to use an acrylic craft paint; can I combine the two on the same board(acrylic and oil based stain)?
    Thanks,
    Shari

Shari, I have some experience with exactly what you're asking about. I wish I could figure out how to post a good pic on this forum and I'd show you. But anyway, I'll try to e-mail you a picture of some stained and colored hardwood doors I did last year.

I wouldn't use any acrylics at all. They don't spread well, dry too fast and can gum-up, especially when wood is your substrate. I would stick with stains for the background and thinned oil based paints for your "hints" of color. Good oil-based paints need to be thinned considerably to get the effect I think you are talking about and it takes some experimentation and practice to get it right. Work on some scraps with cheap brushes/sponges/rags until you start to figure it out. If your peice is for outdoors, finish it with some tung oil.

There are semi-transparent stains available that give some color to the wood but still allow the grain to show through. For years I used them on sandblasted redwood to allow the natural beauty of the redwood to be apparent.

Shari,
    I have used simple fabric dye in the past. It can be thinned out but usually doesn't need it because it goes on pretty light. The only reccomendation I have is to make sure you don't mess with the dye too much after it has been applied. It will rub off. This does help to get the tone you want though. Once you have achieved the colors your looking for let dry then clearcoat to seal it in.

Bill

S.

You didn't tell us what kind of wood you plan on using but here goes anyway.

To control the amount of color and, or the depth of color it will be helpfull to give your background a thin wash with shellac. This will soak right in and won't be seen.

Once this has set-up you can choose your favorite medium. You can scrub in classic oil paint and remove as much as you want, or make transparent washes with acrylics or just about any color solution you prefer. Either way, you will need as much fudge room as possible and a light coat of clear shellac is the answer. Must be applied with a brush.

I'm thinking of changing my middle name to Shellac since I find it necessary to recommend it so much. Most folks don't even know what it is or where it comes from! India? And what is Seed Lac?

J

I got some oils today and experimented a little. Wasn't too bad. But I'll try the thin coat of shellac first. I actually put it on top of the stain and it looked pretty good that way too. What do you use for a topcoat? Some will be inside and some will be outside. As soon as I get a successful paint job, I'll post a pic.
    A BIG thank you to all of you for your help and suggestions.
    Shari
    ps: wood depends on what I can pick up. sometimes pine, ash, etc. does that matter?

"ps: wood depends on what I can pick up. sometimes pine, ash, etc. does that matter?"

Yes, it certainly does. Hardwood, like oak or maple, has much tighter grain and is slower to soak up a stain than say, pine or poplar, which are much softer woods with looser grains and therefore more absorbent. I say again, the most important thing you can do is EXPERIMENT on CARVED scraps to get the effect you're looking for. Why do I say "carved scraps"? Because once you carve the wood, it opens up the grain and the effect will be different than from uncarved. It may sound complicated and hard, but it's really not.

Joe Crumley is "spot on" about the use of a shellac wash, especially on soft woods like pine. It helps to seal it before the stain is applied and gives you time to "subtract" from the color intensity with a rag damp with mineral spirits.

Oh yeah,...wear rubber gloves! :-)

Shari Loveless,

What a great name.

I can see that in lights. It could be a 1940's movie about the "Woodcarvers of Kalabash" staring Manford Rothchild and Shari Loveless. Filmed in the deep African jungle with hostile natives. It would be great. Black and white too. There would have to be drums. A little VooDoo thrown in wouldjust set it off. I'm ready to buy my ticket.

A name like that deserves notice.

O well, it's back to the grind.

J

How much Shellac have you been sniffing Joe?