Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crumley Inspired

Default Crumley Inspired

Here is the sign I made in HDU that was inspired from his Hemingway sign. I went with a less is more idea but without the flourish it looked like a pretty girl with a big forehead you couldn't look away from.

41522.jpg

41523.jpg

41524.jpg

Q1 2008 PRS96 with a lowly Porter Cable
    5ips
    16k rpm
    1/8th in bullnose

Next onto the paint and the 23K guess I have to learn to guild ... [yikes]

Congratulations Joe. Good Job.

I like your sign just like it is. As a matter of face I'm making another Hemingway panel and will leave it monotone.

Two suggestions. When gilding letters, the more sidewall the more difficult it is to get a clean looking job. Brush skill comes into play. Second, get some assistance when starting out with gilding. It's very easy once you've got the right materials and know what to look for.

See if there is a local sign shop in your area who has a "Letterhead" member who's willing to assist. Let me know your location and perhaps I can file a fellow gilder in your area.

Joe

41538.jpg

41539.jpg

Joe,

Can you explain what is happening in the bottom photo. What is that aparatus?

Also, I am assuming that both of these signs have been primed after machinig, I have never seen white HDU, am I correct or is this a different material?

Thanks,

Carroll

Carroll,

After the router finished up the area clearance, I took a small pneumatic sander and sanded down the letters to the desired height.

Yes I could have done this with the CNC but I couldn't visualise the height I wanted. You see, art is like that. There isn't a proper height. It's all up to your taste. I often reverse course if it pleases me.

Carrol you must buy one of the little sanders. They come from Harbor Freight. The're air powered, variable speed, and oscilating. You can do some deliclate smoothing.

How do you feel about my converting the images over to B&W. Reminds me of the old silver screen from my childhood?

Joe Crumley
    www.normansignco.com

Joe, you look like Albert Steptoe :-)

Joe I live in Hampton Roads, Virginia. Basically very South and very East in Virginia.

Do you find the beveled letters are better or worse than the flat topped ones? Or just different?

Joe,

Letters that are beveled, give up half their stroke width. On your letters, this would make them less visable. To avoid this trap, on the Hemiway sign, I textured the letters to make the gold flash. Otherwise it would be best to leave them flat. The texturing was don by applying exterior spackle, by dobbing. I call it moooshiing the spackle down on the top of lettrs. It's a messy job and the spackle gets on everything but a wet papertowell cleans up the background. When dry, I come back with the little sander, above, and smooth down some of the rougher parts.

I hope this makes sence.

Neville,
    Who's that?
    I hope he's really good looking.

Joe Crumley
    www.normansignco.com

Thanks Joe. I am ordering the 23K tonight.

Are these still good choices?
    www.letterheadsignsupply.com
    www.seppleaf.com

Also, I don't know specifically what I need to order from there...

-Joe

Joe,

Either of these are good. For you, it might be easier to call Letterhead Sign Supply. Tell them you are just starting out.

I'd suggest you order LaFranc slow size.
    A book or two of 23k I like Italian
    A book or two of Carnival Gold (This is cheap imitation gold for trial use.)
    A machine #3 or $4 quill. Cheepie is good.
    Mineral Spirits.
    Brush Oil

Joe

Joe I just ordered from letterhead! 2 months later, I know. Paying work got in the way.

Looking forward to figuring it out. Also picked up the book "Gold Leaf Techniques", 4th Edition
    Revised by Kent Smith.

If anyone is trolling in here the shipping displayed on the www.letterheadsignsupply.com
    website is estimated based on the cost. When its packed and shipped shipping cost is the actual amount (sans markup)