Thread: Pricing plexiglass letters

Default Pricing plexiglass letters

I may have a job cutting out Plexiglass letters. there are 4 sizes that need to be cut. Here are the sizes 2 inch, 4 inch, 5 inch and 11 inch tall. All will be cut out of 1/2 inch thick Plexiglass. The customer will supply the material. There are 30 11 inch 45 4 inch 20 5 inch and 30 2 inch. What would be a fair price to quote this job?

What is it worth it for you to do it? I charge a set up fee, then I try and figure out the job by the hour including clean up and packing the goods. Set up fee is for getting the files ready to go to the machine. I usually charge $65 depending on how complicated the file is. Then I work pretty cheap at $50 an hour. Some places charge $120 an hour though. For example I did a last minute rush job for a guy that wanted to give me a $150 for the piece because I didn't set pricing up front. The files took me about 2 hours to set up and since the pieces were quite small I couldn't use vacuum or tabs, so I had to use lots of carpet tape which is a huge pain in tooshy to get off the table and off the pieces. He dropped off the material at 6pm and needed them done by 6am the next day. I finished at 3am. So 9 hours from start to finish and no sleep. I should have charged him $515 and a rush charge. When he heard that I wanted to charge him $600 he thought I was joking. He also thought since his "regular" guy was going to charge him supposedly $90 that giving me $150 was more than fair. We ended up meeting in the middle for $300, but I learned something that day. Never take a job without pricing it to what it is worth it for ME to do it. The customer said a few times that he shouldn't have to pay more since I didn't have as advanced of a machine and that it took me longer than his regular guy that had a $300,000 machine with vacuum and blah blah blah. The fact of the matter is his regular guys machine was broken and he was screwed if I wasn't willing to stay up all night. Did I lose a customer because I over charged him? If I gave my work away for the $150 would this guy have come back more often? Maybe, but he also would think its ok for me to work for 9 hours for $150 all the time.

My price guide for 1/2" acrylicic is 4"-$17 ea.
    6"-$20
    12"-$30
    this includes the material.
    1/2" acrylic costs about $12 sf !!!!!

If you have not done this before you will have router marks on the edge of acrylic which may or may not be a problem.
    www.signletters.com uses laser to cut 1/2'' and the edges are perfect. I have tried to flame treat some acrylic with varying degrees of success. you can see if they can accept them with the router marks. if so you will save time.

The router marks are what the customer wants. I suggested laser cutting and they said they needed a clouded finish for the look they want. I showed them a sample and they loved it.