Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Having a Sign Cut out of sign FOAM.

mahardesign Guest

Default Having a Sign Cut out of sign FOAM.

Can some one explain the MASKING process to me.

I want a sign shop to carve my sign out, then I was planning on priming and painting myself. I don't understand the masking process.

Why do they want to charge so much to mask it? How are masks made?

Thanks, Spence

If I have V-carved letters, will it be tough to FREEHAND paint it?

A lot is riding on this, any help is appreciated.

In my opinnion,
    I would much rather have them mask it before the machining. It simplifies the painting process buy a large amount. With the mask on it, all your paint lines will come out crisp.

The mask is also helpfull because after it is machined you can peel off one piece of the mask at a time. So if you want to paint the sign different colors at different spots, it is much easier.

Spence,
    Daniel is correct here. If you want the fastest,neatest ,job you will prime and paint the surface of your sign first. THEN have the mask put over that ( by the way this process has been fully described a number of times on the Forum, you can use the search function and look for" paint mask"...). The mask is simply a vinyl with an adhesive backing. You would have to ask the sign shop why they want to charge you so much to do this part of it.
    Freehanding letters is not tough if you have a lot of experience. If this is your first attempt, and a LOT is riding on this, don't do it...

The masking process was discussed in a recent thread, you can search for "Gerber" or "Avery" in the forum search.

However basically, it is equivalent to using "blue tape" that house painter would use to protect adjacent walls when painting the trim.

The reason you may be getting charged additional fee is because if the shop is going to mask the blank, that generaly implies that the shop would als be priming the blank with the base color. The shop would first prime the blank with the base color and then wait for it to dry (at least overnight) and then apply the mask. With a shop full of dust, that simple step sometimes can get complicated. This extra step and time might be reflected in the price, however
    Perhaps they would give you a better deal if you provide the shop with the sign blank primed and masked. When it comes off the machine, then you would simply have to finish the un-masked areas and then peel off the mask.

mahardesign Guest

So I prime and mask the whole sign, and cover the entire piece with masking material. then the router cuts through the mask and material?

Thanks everyone.

Spence,
    That is exactly it.

However in my experience the process is not perfect.
    Some of the mask may come off when the machine cuts adjacent material.
    Conversely, sometimes the mask sticks too well and you have to spend a bit of time taking off residue.

mahardesign Guest

ok, i am going to see if i can prep it myself. i will talk to my supplier and get the advice on paints and process.... thanks for the help.

Spencer

Spence,
    Ask the sign folks if you can mask it yourself.
    The masking that works good for machining is an Avery product. The exact product number is on the forum if you do a search on "Avery" or "Mask".

bob russell (Unregistered Guest) Guest

how much to charge for wholesale routing for another sign company. is $10. sq ft reasonable to cut lettering from 3/4 komacel supplied by customer?

Bob,

Please allow me to give a little advice.

Rricing cut letters by the square foot hasn't worked for us. (An example would be: 6@ 2" letters which would come from a square foot of material will take more time than 1@ 11" letter. The customer could order 30@ 2" letters for the same price as 1@ 11" letter.

We are pleased to estimate, based on an hourly charge along with a set-up charge starting at $65.

Wholesale work can be profitable but care needs to be taken with short deadline which can interupt normal work flow.

Good Luck