Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Casmate pro for signmaking?

I have 10 years of programing a laser with mechanical desktop. I am looking to bye a shopbot but can i use mechanical desk top? is vector any good?I wounld like to think i am good at progaming but it seems that the programs for this will not work good.What progams work good with 3d letters?
    thanks,for any help I am lost! Larry

danhamm@abccom.bc.ca Guest

Larry I don't know anything about Mechanical desktop.. But if you can make a cut file for a
    laser you should have no problem with a cut file for the shopbot!! The only difference would be in the 4 micron cut versus the 1/4 or whatever of the
    router bit..you probably are already used to using colors for different cut depths so that will come in handy with the shopbot as well..
    If your program will save a file as DXF. it will work with the shopbot...
    As for vector I personally don't know but there are a lot of shopbotters using it and turning out good products so that kinda speaks for it..
    Also I have a couple of lasers and they work hand in glove with the shopbot I use coreldraw for both
    and the registration works for both..example is I can cut a picture frame or a box or whatever with
    the shopbot then take it to the laser and do the fine detail with it..

debekker Guest

Larry,
    I just Bought my first shop bot but I have had alot of Exp with other routers and software.
    If Mech Desk top will out put Gcode you should be fine. If I remember right it does. I use Signlab/Engrave Lab, Artcam and Mastercam and between those programs I can do just about anything you can dream of. I would Have to say is to save your money and get Artcam it does the chisel letters your looking for. It is a good all around program for doing signs unless you have a unlimited budget then I would go for the Signlab and Artcam.
    (I could Ramble on for hours about programs) Email me if you have other questions