Thread: Here we go (I hope...)

Default Here we go (I hope...)

Hi all,

I have been playing with eCabinets for a couple of months now and recently received my ShopBot Link. I want to test drive the whole thing before I get started on a kitchen for a customer.

I have a PRSAlpha 96x60 (purchased in May 2009) with a 2.2hp spindle. I have an air drill on order and hopefully it will be here in a couple of days. I do all my design work on a high-powered Dell computer in my shop office and then ship files to my ShopBot control computer via wireless network (disabled during cutting jobs).

When using Partworks to design things this was not a problem. But, everything I'm reading is indicating that once I pull the trigger from eCabinets to output to CNC it is all automatic and there is no intermediate step where I can transfer the files (as in Partworks jobs).

Does anyone have suggestions on the best way to proceed considering my computer setup? Also, any words of wisdom on tackling this first "test" cabinet would be most appreciated. I hate to reinvent what many other folks have already experienced and worked through. I know I will have a learning curve with this adventure, but I would love to learn from others' accumulated experience and knowledge as well.

Thank you all very much!

Don Thomson
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.diamondlakewoodworks.com

Don,
    You can design on the Dell, generate the TWD file then send it to the control computer. The control computer needs to have the Link on it. Open the Link, load the TWD and output the coded file directly to the ShopBot control software and start cutting.

Roger,

Does the design portion of eCabinet System also have to reside on the control computer?

Scott
    My design program is all on my home PC. I just have the shopbot control software and use the key in my laptop I use at the Bot
    Lorin

Scott,

As Lorin said, no.
    eCabinets can be anywhere.
    The output from it is the TWD file.
    Copy that file to a memory stick and transfer it to your control computer where the Link will generate your cut file.

Thank you very much Roger! I was hoping I could do what you said I could do. Makes life a lot easier.

Sincerely,

Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.diamondlakewoodworks.com