Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Extira,Pvc,Mdo,or????

Default Extira,Pvc,Mdo,or????

Hi guys, I am not a sign guy, but have been asked to replace a church sign for a lady who wants to donate it in memory of her late husband. I have read a alot of posts about what is the best material and still not sure. I think HDU is out because of her budget. The existing sign is 2'high x14'long sandblasted wood between brick columns. I am thinking 3/4" PVC sheeting and cutting the letters from the same stock and glue on after painting? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Dan.

What is their budget, and how much do you want of that for labor?

RB

you oould use king color core if you frame it with angle iron. that is if colors they have are ok. Just mentioning that because i have some up for about 15 years and they look like new with no maintenance in ohio weather.
    We sent 3/4'' pvc signs to Georgia and they were installed with hardware on each end. they wilted in the middle due to heat and we had to replace with aluminum. we have used 1/4'' aluminum plate with routed letters and painted everything. seems to be amazing product for the time and cost. I am not familiar with pvc in that applicatioin but should be fine if framed and painted with auto enamels. Nice of her to do that in memory of her husband. must have been a great marriage. mine is 40 years and still going strong.

Thanks for the responses. I'm not exactly sure of her budget yet, but get the idea it's on the lower end and that's ok with me, just trying help out here. I was thinking of running some 2x8's across the span for support, and attach the PVC sheets to that. The aluminum is not bad considering my brother buys it wholesale by the truckload. Thanks again, Dan

I Think its a "pay me now or pay me later" proposition. I find the best results for the money at the lower end are with color core type materials. Easy to cut, lasts forever, looks good, and easy to maintain. That being said it has its limits but given she wants a memorial, I assume she wants it to last so for the money, I would recommend color core type but she'll have to work with standard 2 color options or get creative and cut raised letters to screw on from the back. Adhesives don't stick to it, neither will paints but no finishing is a very nice feature compared to more exotic and expensive labor/finishing options.

Hi, and thanks for the response Jerry. I think my biggest problem is the size. 14' in between the brick columns is a long way, and the columns are 7' tall. I was thinking that a monument type shape would work well, and I could run 2x8 or 2x10 across the span and probably go with Extira for the substrate and cut out the letters from it as well. I'll propose it and a couple of other things and see what happens. Thanks again, Dan

Understand Dan, I think you will be able to find 16+ exteria for counter top material but not the 7' width. Seems you'll need to lay up materials regardless unless you can create some art that fits to minimize the seams and comlpliment the sign design.
    It will be a bear to transport and install as a single slab so best of luck

Dan,
    i am an options person. not really a solution person. depending on the architecture of the building, sign permit issues, color coordination, etc. you could use redwood planks, cedar planks, or plastic lumber planks (structural grade) then buy some Gemini Dimensional Letters to install on it. they guarantee the letters for life and not that expensive. or rout the letters and paint them.
    you would not need a frame as you can get 14' material and stack it and glue or just stack it.
    i would try to put something up there that they do not have to spend alot to maintain. There may be additional funds available if the church knew what was going on. My church has a building fund and they are trying to get money for new sign. Many are very interested in contributing to that. i was surprised how many. And it is gracious of you to help

Dan,

You should consider the design concept first. Like Dick suggested, there are architectural considerations, not to mention this is a church.

When spaning distances, like this, it's advisable to build a steel framework on which the sign is attached. That way you can use otherwise weaker materials.

Design, Design, Design. That's the first step.

We always give our clients three priceing levels which they seem to appreciate.

Joe

Is there any adhesive that will stick to HDPE like King colorcore? I haven't found anything yet.