Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GOLD

Default GOLD

Tested out the brass Scupt Nouveau the other day on a 3D piece that has been sitting around since I first got the bot a year ago. Turned out alright, but I am sure with a bit of refinement I can make it look nicer. The customer wants a bright gold 3D relief of some Marine thing. I don't know what it is but it has some swords and a crest type center. Lots of detail, so I want to make sure I can polish the piece after I apply the "C" coating. The also sent some gold lacquer, which I was relying on heavily to make the piece shine. After I was done I realized I should have done a better build up with the "C" before the final coats of the lacquer. Since there is a lot of detail I want to make sure that I can get in all the nooks and crannies to make the whole piece look like a million bucks. Any suggestions? JR

Lets see it!

RB

Try real GOLD. No polishing necessary.

quote:The customer wants a bright gold 3D relief
    quote:Try real GOLD. No polishing necessary.
    I've gotta agree with Joe. The Sculpt Nouveau will look OK, but real gold will be head and shoulders better. (Slight smile vs. jaw drop) Is the customer willing to pay for real gold?

There is a saying among sign painters (especially the old ones like Crumley)....

"Gold is gold and paint ain't."

By the time you spend filling and sanding and painting and glazing and then doing it all again you could have put down real gold and it would not have cost any more.

You can't make something cheap look like a million bucks.

where do I get gold? Is it just a micro thin piece? Can I get it at a craft store or somewhere local? Never heard of applying actual gold, so where do I start? Can I do it in silver too?

Justin..
    Google.. "Gold Leaf"
    Gary

Justin,

www.letterheadsignsupply.com
    www.seppleaf.com

You could probably use some assistance with this process. It's easy once you know the steps. Let me know if I can be of assistance.

Woops, Dr. Chapman was almost correct. My X, with the help of a few beauty aids, did it all the time.

Joe

I am in south eastern Michigan. I have been wanting to try my hand at gold leaf for many years. Does anyone know of upcoming tradeshow, letterhead meet etc. in my area, where I could get some talk time with people who know gold leaf? I have read many books and articles on gold leaf and everyone seems to agree that even a few minutes of hands on with someone who knows is time well spent. I would love to see some demonstrations of gold application.

-Fred

38046.jpg

You can find some instructions on youtube typing in gold leaf. however some are for interior usage.
    i have attached a photo of gold leaf job we did using approx. 36'' signfoam letters. Seems like preparation is everything. applying the gold was easy. i do like the slow dry seize but it is personal preference for everyone. The gold does show every imperfection in the undercoat so preparation to have a smooth non porous background seems important. we never clear coat gold unless on vehicles but now we use gold leaf vinyl. I think the main thing is customer expectations. I have had more problems with expectations than anything else. I try to let them know what to expect. Some have seen gold leaf on glass doors and think that is what they are getting, etc. good luck