Thread: Moving sign files from one software package to another

Default Moving sign files from one software package to another

I route signs for other shops. I don't go out and sell them or install them.

When the other shops design the sign they have to send me a file so I know what to cut. In the past, I have been getting .EPS files and have had little trouble with extra lines and other such errors when exporting and importing.

How do others handle this?

If you make and sell signs, what software packages do you design the sign with? If that package does not toolpath for the CNC, how to you transfer from the design software to, say V-Carve PRO or PartWorks?

In other words, what is your typical work flow in the design and cutting process.

Thank you for any tips, suggestions or help.

I design in signlab then send the print files to the Gerber edge and the router vectors get output as .ai files for Vcarve pro.

We don't get too many good vector files from other sign shops.

ernie

www.balchsigns.com

I design in CorelDraw or Arts and Letters Express or LetterArt9.5 and export a dxf or eps to Vectric's VCarve Pro where I first delete duplicate and open vectors and then generate tool paths and a jpg that looks a lot like the final sign as routed.

Ed,
    I never had problems if the other shops used Flexi Sign and gave me an .eps.

We have been having some of the same problems. But we have found that some versions of their DXF export are more compatable than others. VCPro does the best job with .eps
    Gary

The shop that I am trying to get files from now is using Lexi? I was told it is like Flexi but not the same. I have not seen it and don't know a thing about it. The shop is getting .eps files from printers and customers and some of them are way out of wack with extra lines, and crazy shapes that I cannot seem to figure out where they go.

I too have had trouble with .dxf so I asked Vectric and they told me to go with .eps which has fixed every problem between my design computer running Corel X3 and V-Carve PRO.

I will keep on working with them and trying new things anyone suggest. Seems that today gradiant fills were the root of the problems for me. Millions of vectors in that file.

New water for me and if I can solve this, I think the water will be just fine!

Happy to see these posts here; just spent 2 half days trying to convert vector files from one application to another.

I am just getting into signmaking. I get illustrator files from graphic designers (either .ai or .eps) and import them into vectorworks to make 3d files. Its alot of trouble converting and half the time the files come in distorted or curves are all gone and vector go all astray

any ideas if there is a good 'bridge' application for vector based files?

Found that backward saving the illustrator files worked sometimes for importing into the CAD software. im keeping lots of notes now as I work to figure these steps out.

One of the best programs I've found for file interpertation is Corel Draw. I believe it has more import filters than anyone else.

I'd suggest considering purchasing an older copy for a few bucks. O, I only use it for importing although it's very powerful. The coloring features and exporting are also top notch.

Often the latest versions of files from AutoCAD, and sometimes Adobe Illustrator, etc. do not import well into my software, but I can get the customer to instead send the file in an older format and that usually works.

A couple of times I've used converters you can easily find on the internet to convert a particular file that won't import well. The charge is free or nominal and much less expensive than having to buy a copy or upgrade of a particular program just to keep up with changes in files you can import.

Both Vectric's VCarve Pro and CorelDrawX3 usually do a good job of importing most ai, dxf, and eps files without major problems. The first thing I usually do after importing into VCarve Pro is to use its edit feature to find and delete all duplicate and open vectors, usless there is some reason to save a particular open vector (i.e. to rout along an open ended line).

I have in the past spent literally days trying to convert bitmap/raster images to vectors, but can now generally do so within minutes or an hour or so with CorelDrawX3 CorelTrace, and now the Stanford online program looks even better if the little bugs can be worked out.

Sometimes it's better to not convert the image but instead just use the bitmap and PhotoVCarve like I did with the heron on this sign. The lettering, logo, and moon I did with VCarvePro.

25421.jpg