Thread: How to use second 'Z' rounter

Default How to use second 'Z' rounter

Hello all, I am just getting the shopbot link going now and have built my first test cabinet with it. I have a second router with a 5 mm bit on the "A" axis and am not getting it doing the drilling. The software used the main "Z" spindle with the 1/4" bit for all the operations and am getting 1/4" holes instead of 5mm holes.

What am I doing wrong?

Ernest...
    You havnt done anything wrong, you have simply left out an undocumented step. ShopBot has put some great new commands and a few variations into the old commands to allow us to do this painlessly.

You will need to implement the " SB virtual toolchanger routines" required to "trick" the Link into thinking that your 2 head machine is a single head machine with a multi tool changer.

These files (C6 C7 & C9) are used as follows:
    C6 switches on spindles, routers, drills,vacuum, dust collection, etc.
    C9 selects the proper SB head, applies the offsets required in X, Y and Z, or swaps the A & Z to enable the proper cutting head.
    C7 resets these offsets and axis swaps and turns off anything that was switched on in the C6.

Use of the Link requires zeroing your tools to the machine bed (top of spoilboard) as it outputs a material thickness that is used by the "toolchanger" files. This will allow you to cut any thickness of material without a rezero.

You will also have to implement a tool numbering system that matches the system that your toolchanger files use.

This will allow you to take full advantage of your second head.

First Step:
    If you have any files that use the C6, C7 or C9 in your C:\SbParts\Custom folder, rename them as another custom cut number. (I assume you dont have this or you would have already had THAT problem) (I cut some pocket holes, Roger surfaced his table with our existing C* files)

Second:
    Send me a copy of your C:\SbParts\Custom\my_variables file along with your machine model and I can send you a version of the required files that work. I will need a list of any things that you switch with outputs when cutting. islaww(@)comcast.net
    Gary

Ernest...
    I forgot to mention... there are copies of the files needed included with the latest release version of the software.(3.6.1) The files are installed to C:\SbParts\Custom\Custom Manual Toolchanger.
    These files should work if you have an OEM 2 head configuration.
    Gary

Gary,

The files included with shopbot version 3.6.1 aren't doing it. They don't work. I took a look at them and some appear blank and others are disabled referencing files that are not present.

Ernest...
    I just sent a C6,7,&9 plus a my_variables to your email... you should be good to go. Let me know if you have a problem.
    Gary

Thanks Gary,

I just tested out the files and things are working now. Your files work and shopbot supplied files do not. I did run into a couple of snags. My second Z axis was wired backwards and I had compensated by inserting a negative number for the A axis calibration.
    But when I ran the ecabinets sofware it had it reversed. No serious problem, I switched the wiring, removed the minus sign in the calibration and now it's a go.

Another issue, when it gets to the flip operation it doesn't do anything it just finishes.

Ernest..
    Nest the same file in the Link and press the export button. This will save a file that the guys at Thermwood can use to either tell you what is wrong.. or fix the problem. Send a copy of the CAB file to the Thermwood support email address that you got with the Link.
    Glad to see you are working.
    Gary

Actually it was an accident that I designed a cabinet that required a flip operation. I don't intend to blind daddo the deck and top to the back of the cabinet.