Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question Primer & Paints

Default Question Primer & Paints

I've used costal primer with some ok results. Also for paints I've used mainly One Shot.

I read through alot of different posts seeing what kind of paints people use. I have a job doing signs for a golf course and was wondering what primer and paint people would recommend and why. I would like to make the switch to a water base paint, but I want to make sure I use a good quality paint.

What is the material?

Sorry, it's HDU.

Thank you for the advice in advance.

Is there anyone else that could give me a good recomendation on a good quality water base paint (exterior)? The material is HDU.
    Thank you

You don't have to prime HDU.
    Paint the first coat (background color)with water base acrylic latex house paint. Use the same for all the other colors you need.
    It's quick and easy.
    Then you can paint 1-shot on top of that if you need.

Well i am reluctant to respond. it is like asking which homeopathic remedy removes warts. i know there are so many good primers and paints that are similar and people use what they satisfied with if it works. I guess you have to use the product that gives you the results you want. if you want less gloss. less visible hdu celluar structure, mildew and fungicide for signs going in damp shady areas under trees. self cleaning paints, non chalking, etc. we use primers from xim products http://www.ximbonder.com/
    for most things. I think that the costal primer is designed to help fill the celluar structure of hdu if filling the celluar structure of hdu is an issue which it can be then coastal may be a good economical choice. I do not think that celluar structure coverage and hiding is an issue for me personally but may be for certain customers.
    If you need to fill the celluar structure of hdu then Coastal is what i would stay with if you are using a roller.
    the xim urethane modified acrylic primer was made because of the new voc laws. paint is changing by legislation and environmental laws. there are so many good water base acrylic (not latex) paints on the market now. I have always heard that Porter Paints are very good for the money. then you have the mineral based paints that are supposed to hold color but they cost alot more.

I know the oneshot bulletin and enamels are gloss so they show imperfections more than most water based roll on acrylics.

When we needed a smooth high gloss perfect finish we sprayed Matthews products. (two component polyurethane) also expensive.

I do not think there is one answer. I guess we would choose one of several paint systems depending on the job and maybe what we had on the shelf.

I agree with John Arnott too.
    we have made many hdu signs just shooting auto paint on raw hdu with no primer.

Thank you very much for the advice. That was a very good point about what conditions it will be in. There are a few signs that I'm sure will be in a tree line area with mildew conditions.

Thank you again guys.

Brian,
    Instead of Oneshot, try Ronan Aquacoat - http://www.ronanpaints.com/graphic.htm. All water-based.

Brian,

I recommend to wash off HDU with a strong water spray. Many HDU boards comes with dust in the pores which can cause paint adhesion problems.

I question the idea of not priming HDU. Primers are different than paints. They are made for sanding and filling and painting. They're also designed to attach more firmly to substrates and are brittle. So you end up with a good paint receptive sandable surface. You can get away without primers on rough area's that have been sandblasted, but it's a dicey business for your perfectly smooth surfaces.

Why on earth would anyone ever spend the money for a sheet of HDU and all the time and energy to make a sign and skip a the primer. Where's the savings in that?

Im with Dan about Aquacoa but Coastal is C+ at best. If Ronan isn't available, I'd go to Lowe's for good old water based Kilz. If strained and sprayed it give a near perfect surface.

If you end up with one of the very porus Coastal HDU's boards which are difficult to get a smooth surface here's what to do. Apply a large dollop of exterior spackle in the center and squeege it all over the board. Sanding won't be necessary.

Good luck with your project.

Joe Crumley
    www.normansignco.com