Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: ECabinets & ShopBot Link

Hey Gary,

I may be "wrong" but you talk to much.

How do you get any work done?

Kenneth

I've been finding this thread very interesting.

As David B. mentioned above, a professional Cad/Cam
    software will change your life as a professional cabinetmaker.I've been using KCD for my design screen to Shopbot cutting.This ability , as David says "The combination of capable software and a properly equipped shop have put the fun back into cabinetmaking for me, and like you said, allowed me to make money on jobs I would have had to pass on previously, not to mention sell more jobs with the professional looking presentation.

It's easy to understand your excitement!"
    He right! I'm enjoying the process again!
    And it is fun!
    I'm planning on giving a simple demo of KCD at my Camp next week.The software is different,but the principle is the same.

BTW I have a copy of Ken Susnjara's Book "The New Furniture" It explains the his ideas about CNC and its relation woodworking,using ecabinets in particular,any software in general.
    It's a good easy read for all of us plugging away in our shops

Kerry,
    You are right about adding edgebanding.
    I don't do it to the entire cabinet because it seems to eat up too much of my computers resources.
    So I just add it to selected areas. Also my library has been setup from before edgebanding and I have insets set up.
    After I upgrade sometime this year I should be doing that.

Kerry...
    Thanks for the correction. I will be the first to admit my limited experience. My comments regarding the closets were my "off the cuff" comparison between "the system" as explained by David Buchbaum regarding Cabinet Visions Closet Module. When you "drop" for example a full height panel next to a bank of drawers, the drawer bank side is removed and the RTA joinery machining is applied to the proper side of the panel. Last weekend in Houston I tried to ask this same question of Michael Kowalczyk, and it appeared to me that, even tho it is possible as an assembly, the task was not quite as "automated".

I will pose the same question to you. Based on your experience, which I already know is vast, are there features that allow this type of parametric assembly building, especially as it would apply to the custom closet makers, included in eCabs? To be specific, I am not speaking of adding a correct component that has the machining defined, but that the placement actually defines the machining parameters, and those parameters are applied to the proper components of the system.

Pardon, if I have misunderstood the operation as David B. has described it, if I have erred, perhaps he can clarify.

This is not meant to be a negative comment towards eCabs, simply pointing out a difference. None of the $20K+ packages are the same, the fact that we are even comparing a free design program to these high end offerings is amazing.
    Gary

Paul...
    I believe that you could apply a filter that deselected sheets 1 thru 10 and proceed as normal.
    Gary

Paul,

You wrote: "Do you have any idea what happens if you have a job that will use say 30 sheets of material, by the end of day one you have cut 10 sheets, on day two what action does it require to commence cutting sheet 11 and onwards ?"

There is a feature exactly for this situation. You just check on the sheet selection option under setting in the eCabinet Systems Shopbot link. The program will then prompt the operator as to which sheet you want to go to. Just restart the program the next day and select sheet #11 etc. Hope this answers your question.

I have so many great things to say about the link. When I get some time, I will post my results I had today...12 sheets so far, and 17 more to go on this job!

Kerry Fullington Custom Cabinet, Dalhart Texas

Gary,

You are correct that eCabinets does not have the automated functions of CV with User Created Standards and Intelli-joints. I just didn't want anyone to be discouraged from using eCabinets for closet design. I think if someone wanted to focus on closets they could do so by creating a well thought out library of fixtures.

Roger,

One reason I like to place the edge banding on parts is because I can use a different texture for the edge banding and see at a glance that parts do or don't have the banding. If you add your banding to your cabinets then it will also print the banding info on your labels which is a big help for me.

Kerry

Kerry...
    Considering that there could be over $20K difference in price between the two, I think 90% would go in the eCabinets direction. Myself included. There are some tho, that need those special purpose modules. They are good, but they obviously come at a steep price. Thanks for the clarification.

I looked at the drawings on your site that you posted the link to. Is there documentation that explains the process? And one last question, can we users "cut & paste" these onto our own header page? I know I should be posting these questions on the eCabinets Forum, but since you stopped by, we should put you to work! Thanks for your time.
    Gary

OK. I have some time now.

I had some experience with ecabinets 2 years ago when I was researching CNC's. I bought a library from Kerry (thank you, but they are now free!) Please send my money back Kerry ;)

I never actually designed any kitchens with the software, but basic functions were easy to understand. I was interested in the renderings. They still look great and are a great way to lock down a sale. Not sure if anyone charges right off the bat for the 3D drawings, but I certainly intend to since they do require a bit of time to complete.

Changing cabinet design features becomes challenging, and I wish there was some added features that changes all your cabinets at once. i.e. changing overlay on doors as easy as it is to change the door style itself.

The software becomes easier and easier to use. I would imagine after 2 kitchens or 2 weeks of learning, you can be pretty proficient with the program. You have to be cabinet maker to understand a lot of the functions and features.

The parametric sizing is great, but doesn't do everything. When resizing your cabinets, you must always verify every part of your cabinet to make sure everything did what it was supposed to do. Since my computer is no longer the powerhouse it used to be, the changes took much longer than I expected. You must have a pretty powerful work center computer to use Ecabinets. Don't let the $1300 price tag make you believe that will be the final cost. I now have my design computer at the CNC, and am currently looking for a powerful laptop to do my designing on.

Most of us Shopbotters are working on a limited budget, so this will be an expense I did not think I would incur for a while. No problem though, it is well worth it!

Here is the good part, no I take that back......Here is the great part! The functionality of the link allows you to see your machine perform at optimum levels. I watched my machine pound out 11 sheets today. I need to adjust my setting to machine faster, but I wanted to be sure I wasn't breaking bits through various types of cuts it was going to be doing.

I machined everything with a .25" single flute straight cutter. Can't complain about edge quality, or drill holes. Everything came out great. I did order 2 5mm compression cutters from Centurion last night so I have something for the next job. I will run everything with the 5mm bits once I have them. At $25 a piece, you can't beat the price.

All in all the link is going to be a great addition to the shop. You can't understand how easy it is to produce 1 or 10 cabinets until you use it.

I will post my results as completion of this kitchen comes to a close towards the end of the month. This is an eco-friendly kitchen for a spec house in Cali. The house will be on the discovery channel later this year.