Thread: Frog Juice application...

Default Frog Juice application...

So today I learned you can't apply frog juice with an air brush, it dries before hitting the working surface and you get spider web instead. While a cool effect it is not the intended outcome.

I know you can purchase FG in an aerosol can but I'd rather use the qt cans. I'm a little confused because the can has spraying instructions but it seems any air spray equipment would have the same results as an airbrush.

Is anyone spraying FG? If so with what spray gun?

I also discovered if you use about 10 to 12psi and lightly blow on freshly applied FG it is dry to the touch very quickly.

Robert

Robert,

I have never used Frog Juice, but if it is polyurethane based, it could be the water/humidity in the compressed air that is causing it to rapidly set.

Bruce

Could be, I have a water sep on the line but I do not have a dryer. I've never had trouble spraying anything thin enough to go through a gun before. It's cool really... sort of like spider man spraying webbing!

I applied with a brush and all is well. I'll order FG in a spray can for the little bit where I need spray.

Robert

Robert,

Yea, I have basically give up on Polyurethane glue. My area is super humid and if you only use half a jar, the remainder will harden up in a week or two--no really. Even if you store the bottle upside down, as some have recommended, it will still set on you in about 3 weeks.

It is great stuff, I just don't get out to the shop as often as I would like, so things tend to "set" on me.

Bruce

I know what you mean, I don't use those glues either for the same reason. I find other products that work just as well for me and I don't like paying the premium prices for small bottles.

The FG is solvent based, thins with mineral spirits and does one heck of a job. It's my first can of FG and I'm impressed. I love the way it dries so quickly. About 15 to 20 minutes just sitting and about 1 or 2 minutes to the touch with a light application of air for 15 seconds or so.

Robert

Blue Ridge Fabrication and Design, Jasper GA

Robert,

I've sprayed a good bit of it and I know exactly what your talking about. You go to spray something and it shoots out a spider web.

Try thinning it with more mineral spirits. There is a fine line between adding too little mineral spirits and not enough. Just practice on something first because if it is too thin it will run.

Blue Ridge Fabrication and Design, Jasper GA

Also, we spray with a large HVLP gun - like what you would paint a car with.

We use the Frog Juice in spray cans. It works fine. I never could brush it out evenly but spray cans are ok.

The fumes bother me so I only use it in a hood with lots of exhaust.

ernie