Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dumb questions....

We make granite and engineered quartz countertops (among other materials, but those are the ones we use the CNC router/mills for).

I was just trying to illustrate that it wasn't an out-of-place amount of money for that sort of software. i.e. something that interfaces the CAM software to the machine.

We capture cabinet layouts after install with either an LT-55 laser templater or a ProLiner. The field rep pulls them onto a laptop, drops the raw DXF of the datapoints into IntelliCAD and refines the drawings, adding overhangs, annotating sink centers, dishwasher location, etc. before connecting to our template upload server website (normally from the field using a free WiFi link like at McDonald's or a coffeeshop).

The Engineering department takes over after that, dropping the right sink cutout in, adding any necessary production items. They create the production-ready DXFs, then use those to program the CNCs in GibbsCAM and the waterjet cutter using MTC ProNest. If physical templates are desired, they're cut after all this on an Allen Datagraphics vinyl cutter/plotter.

We used to use sheets of Corroplast in the field and a big digitizing board in Engineering to capture the dimensions.

We use our ShopBot for repetitive production work, cutting out sink bowl and faucet holes in our 3cm resin vanity top product. Those programs I created in sbEdit.

I have found that you can generate the cutting file with the link and transport the file to another computer to cut the file. But you will need to move the usb keylock to the other computer as well. The file is located at:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Thermwood\ShopBot Link\data.sbe

It gets over written every time you generate a new cutting file.

Jack...
    All of the major cabinet design packages have separate "machining modules". Most of these are priced in the thousands of dollars. Some require onsite final adjustments and tuning which can be another couple thousand. eCabs is really both free and full featured, but has a learning curve in months, not hours. The only cost to you as a ShopBotter will be to add the Link if you want to machine these youself. Easily justifyable, if doing cabinets for a living.

Dave...
    A single link can be carried to both your computers. There is no real need to have one anywhere but on the cutting computer, unless you wish to view code lines prior to cutting. The CNC button in eCabs will return the same nest as the Link and allow you to audit both position and size of all cut or drill features on each sheet.

Joe...
    No bait and switch here. eCabs is free, the machine link is not. The Link is a good value compared to others like it out there. eCabs is priced $20K under its equals. Total them up and see where you might be. Maybe those that have the machining modules for 20-20, KCDW, CabinetVision or MicroVellum might chime in.

Ernie...
    That method may work, but gives you a non editable file that wont work as well as the TWD or TWD, ESJ combo on the control computer. This combo allows any change that would be needed to achieve great results.

Dan...
    As a user of both, they both have their good and not so good points. CPPro is much easier to learn, cuts a box every bit as well, but doesnt have the ability to adjust components to edge band and other variables as well as eCabs. That being said, and assuming you have your settings correct, nothing will go from screen to machine faster than CPPro. The fact that flip sided machining for mortise/tenon construction is not supported by CPPro is the only major downfall. It has the abilty to customize post P's as well as any.

eCabs is a real pain if you find (usually after curtting) that you had some settings off. As with any program with hundreds of features, there are hundreds of settings. Paying very close attention to these settings and developing a "seed" system works well, but attention to all details is required prior to every cutting untill full confidence in the seeds is accomplished.

That being said, if you prefer to use dado or butt construction, you will be cutting profficiently in a much shorter time with CPPro, but may, in time, need features beyond those included. I reccommend BOTH!

Off to the states.....
    Gary

Gary

I have KCD.It is a great screen to machine program.
    Full 3D drawing/easy to use/great support.
    No complaints only
    It Costs a Bundle!

If any one owns a Shopbot-eCabs is the only way to go!
    (Wish it came out years ago.)

Erminio

He's baaaaaaack!

(That was a dumb question on my part to make DB feel better-didn't expect answer.)
    Bring back any good rum and cigars?

Dave...
    How about a mail order West Indies bride and a great recipe for Monkey and Goat stew?

Gary

Goin' down to Monkey Island for some huntin'?
    Congratulations on your nuptuals. What's her name?

Didnt find out the name yet, I think customs is going to tell me that when they release her!
    Gary