Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Software needed for making signs

Default Software needed for making signs

Try this again I need training on how to use the forum!!! I will get to the point! I own a sign shop and I am looking for software that is user friendly to make a sign.

Until adding my SB 4896 standard and 3 other CNC units I have hand routed my signs. I have a portable shop and I travel to fairs and make the signs at the advents. Of course my SB is too big and unfortunately they don't make a unit small enough to fit in my portable shop.

So I am one of those fools who bought a Sears Compucarve, matter of fact I bought 2! I had high hopes for this toy I mean CNC! When it worked it had wonderful results. Another down fall besides breaking down was it is too slow! But a high point is the software. It is so user friendly. I have since bought and I am waiting to get another compact CNC from IM Service. Plus due to shorted T-nuts and poor timing, my Grandma passing away and recently have back surgery I have not completely set up my SB. So it has been an expensive bench! Soon I hope to be able set up my SB when I recover from my surgery.

Back to the software, I am looking for something similar to the CC designer. I want to be able to input the sign size ie. 12" X 24" choose the font style and if it is a raised or recessed letter. Then add a Vector Art 3D pattern. Set the board, start the machine and it makes the sign!

I already have V Carve Pro and Photo Carve and of course the SB software. And with my new compact CNC it comes with Desk CNC and I think Vector XT.

I am looking at Bobcam and tomorrow will be viewing a tutorial how it works then they will try to sell it to me at a discounted price. Also from the SB site I read about Sign Lab so I downloaded the demo.

I need expert help!!!!! Or just help!!!!

Rick

Rick, Most of the software for sign making is rather expensive. I tell most people to get an older version of CorelDraw because it's cheap. It can do everything you need and much more. Design it in Corel, then simply export to V-Carve pro.
    I own a full comercial signshop too.

Hmm, thanks John I do have Corel Draw X3. I haven't figured it out yet. I know software is expensive, but I am looking for an application I can design a sign in one program. That is what I liked about the carvewright designer.

As I mentioned I am not up and running yet so maybe there isn't software like that. Do you know anything about Bobcam software? Tomorrow I have a demo scheduled and I was told the Bobcam is discounted due to the holidays. The price is $995.00 and it includes training and Bob artcam. Now the salesman told me sold separtly it would be 3-4 thousands dollars.

I don't want to spend that kind of money but I don't mind $1000.00 if it does what I want it do do!

Rick

Corel Draw is a good all around program and not nearly as expensive as some of the dedicated sign design software.

And I also have a sign shop that owns me.

Hey Rick,I'm lurking over here in the Shopbot forum these days.Your saying the same thing I have been saying since looking at all my software,Very powerful ,but also Complicated compared to the cw designer,The only thing I've seen that looks as easy is the Vectric Line of software.Did you buy V-carve ?
    Ben
    from Cw forum

Lol yes I agree the sign shop owns me too!!! Since my back surgery I haven't been able to do much! My shop is a mess since my fair season, so it needs insulation and cleaned!

As forth to Corel, I paid quite a bit for it. Didn't you read I am not too bright!! I did buy 2 CC! The Corel Draw X3 cost me around $600.00 maybe more?

It seems I need to learn Corel I have it I should know how to use it!

Maybe I should have stuck with hand routing my signs!!! www.rcwoodworksonline.com

Rick

Hey Ben!!!! How are you!!! Yes I have V carve Pro and Photo carve. I bought both at the ShopBot Jamboree from James Booth along with the Vector Art 3D animal starter kit.

I was hoping someone has used Bobcam. I will know more about it tomorrow. If it looks easy to use without a bridge program then I will be adding it to my software collection!

Say if you still have my e-mail I will tell you how LHR really messed me over. I since bought a new compact CNC from www.cadcamcadcam.com. So I need the same software for it.

Rick

Don't waste your time with BobCAD it is complete junk for sign making.

Between Vectric software and Corel you have the best easiest to use software available. Use the Corel X3 tutorial and watch the Vectric tutorials.

You have to spend time designing signs in Corel. It will take a week or two to be comfortable with the software.

Don't keep throwing money at new software there is no magic package.

ernie

Thank you Ernie, sounds like I have all I need already! I must be brighter then I thought!!! Bummer I still have an appointment to view the demo. I am going to view it.

Now I trust you, but they came out with a new product for sign making. That's what I was told this morning!

Again thank you to everybody !

Rick

Rick, What happened with LHR ?
    I would tend to agree with Ernie,I've looked at most of the software out there and there is nothing as simple and easy as designer,I just had to buckle down and learn new software.
    Ben