Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spoil board distance to floor?

Default Spoil board distance to floor?

I have a small shop, hence a 48X48 machine, to arrive this Friday. I would like (need) to have the top of the spoil board to be at, or slightly lower than the height of my table saw and work benches. If needed, what is the best way to lower the ShopBot? (Other than the dig out the floor trick.) Suggestions?
    Thanks,
    Bill

Bill...
    Cut off the top of the legs by the amount of the center to center hole distance of the extrusion. Then drill 2 holes in each leg for the bolts that mount to the extrusion and redrill the mounting holes for the gussets. (Only slightly easier than digging out the floor.)
    Gary

Thanks Gary.... You have made my day! Looking forward to Friday's delivery.

Bill...
    Dont thank me! To keep it looking good, I would go to a shop that has a horizontal band saw to make the cuts. Good luck!
    Gary

My PRT with it’s 3 layer ¾” table top is 33.5” from the floor. Works perfect with my Delta Unisaw that’s 34.25” tall.

Or...rather than hack apart your new machine, just add adjustable feet to your table saw and work benches...Trailer jacks work well for me, I'm sure that there are cheaper solutions.

-B

Good news!!!! Thanks Scott, my table saw height is 34.75"! Tomorrow is gonna be a GOOD day! Now for all these new trailer jacks I have.... Brady... need any more?

Bill

Bill..
    Brady makes a good point. You may want to rethink the mod til you get some experience on the machine. I just went thru this when adding a new sliding table saw to the shop. The Unisaw was 34.5" and the new slider is 36. We added taller wheels to all the assembly and transport carts, raised the cutoff saw benches to get a consistant height. After putting the Unisaw on a roller stand they are all very close in height. ALL are higher than the Bot, and it hasnt been a problem, either going on or off.
    Gary

Gary,
    More than understand.... The issue is runout from the tablesaw. I will be ripping straight at the ShopBot and need it to be @ or lower than the saw. As is .. looks like I will not need the mod, keeping my fingers crossed. I do hate the idea of butchering a brand new tool! There will be LOTS of thought put into it before any "alterations" are conducted. All of my other tools and work spaces are "built-in" and needing changes there would more than justify a new shop. Hummmm... thinking.. :-) ....new shop?

I must add ... Thanks to everyone! The response is alleviating a lot of the anxiety. I hope in the future I can be as helpful to others.

Bill

Bill..
    "I do hate the idea of butchering a brand new tool!" Me too! How about a mobile base (about 1" net gain) or even a layer or 2 of 3/4" plywood to raise the saw? We have even done both in the past. In trying to get even tool heights, we have used the mobile base and stacked a layer or 2 of plywood inside the base. I would take a look at raising the saw as a more sensible alternative. Good Luck.
    Gary