Thread: Squaring Y

Adirondack Routing and Signs, Morrisonville NY

Default Squaring Y

My x axis is dead on over 96" but I can't seem to get the Y axis square to Y. It's off 1/8" over 2'. Anyone have any suggestions on a method to square the axis?

Robert here is a link to squaring the PRT ALPHA. It should work for the PRS as well. http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/sho...5290#POST25290

I'm assembling my PRS standard and unfortunately, my X gantry arrived tweaked (wheels on spindle side toed out ~1/10").

I followed the gantry alignment procedure in the manual, but I still have a problem. The wheels are flat and perfectly sitting on the rails, but the right wheels (facing the spindle) are about 1/8" back from the left wheels. I have a nice little parallelogram.

I've tried clamping it tweaked a fair bit in the opposite direction, then tightening the bolts, but it always relaxes back into a position similar to above. I don't want to tweak it too much. It appears that the ends of the aluminum beam's ends are not perfectly square, but I want to see what someone else thinks before I try disassembling and shimming that monster.

Thanks,
    Brad

I just got off the phone with Chris from Shopbot. The trick was to use clamps to push on one side of the gusset (under the aluminum beam), against the aluminum beam.

I used the clamp to square it up, them tightened the bolts. This time, is didn't change when the clamps were removed, it stayed nice and square.

Thanks Chris!

Brad