Thread: HSD Spindle Controler Mounting on Buddy

Default HSD Spindle Controler Mounting on Buddy

I just got my PRSalpha Buddy today. In the doucumentation, there is no reference to mounting the controller for the spindle. I noticed in some pictures that ShopBot provides that they mounted it low on the ShopBot Control box. My question is, has anyone found that to be too low? Have you mounted yours in a different location? Is there something that I am missing here? Seems to be abundant cable to mount it many feet away from the machine. I plan on mounting mine higher up on the side of the machine and move the E-Stop button accordingly. Stooping over at my age to read a tiny little display and make changes from that position is not condusive to a comfortable back. Just interested in what others have done with their Buddy. Nobody seems to be posting much. I'm sure that I am not the only one who has purchased a Buddy. Please share your ideas and thoughts.

Hi Cliff

I have a PRT Alpha and I mounted my control box and VFD for my spindle on the wall at eye height across from the Bot. This way I don't have to bend over to push the start or reset buttons or change speeds.

GC Carpentry & Custom Woodworking, Peabody MA

Hi Cliff
    I also just got my PRS Alpha BT and decided to mount the spindle controller on the Shopbot control box. BIG mistake! I've had my Bot for just over a week and I'm tired of stooping already. You have the right idea.

The VFD is normally mounted on a piece of plywood & then to an adjacent wall. Some people choose to mount the VFD to the machine itself, but I prefer it on the wall at eye level, simply because it is safer (nothing is going to accidentally get dropped on it) and out of the way of things. I think SB mounted theirs on the machine itself just to make it convenient to setup the tool at trade shows etc where a free-standing wall is not available.

-B