Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USB and Computers

Bill Thorpe Guest

Default USB and Computers

There has been much discussion about the USB interface between the control box and the computer that drives it. It has been suggested in previous posts that the installation of a USB PCI card in the computer and the addition of a USB hub will mitigate most of the problems. I have been experiencing some of these same problems. I ordered a hub and PCI card from TigerDirect.com. Here are the part numbers:
    Hub C184-29563
    PCI card P511-1066

Total cost was 42.47 after a 10.00 rebate.

Installation was a snap. All the problems I was having are now in the past. I highly recommend this upgrade.

If the motherboard already has USB 2.0 ports/feature in, one don't need the card. That may not the one(s) at the rear IO/connector panel. Just get a USB 2.0 hub and plug in.

Green Acres Woodworking, North Bend Washington

I dont get it... How does the HUB cause connection problems to go away? You are still talking to the hub via a port that was causing problems in the first place. How can using this same port with a hub solve anything?

On some computers (Dell, Gateway etc) the keyboard and mouse share the same USB root as the ATEN serial bridge (SB) and compete with each other causing interupts. By installing a PCI to USB card, you effectively move the SB to a completely different USB channel.

A 2.0 hub, even in a 1.0 port, will give you access to an 'enhanced' port. You should assign the ShopBot ATEN serial bridge to this enhanced port via the Device Manager in Windows. This will open up bandwith and speed even on a 1.0 port. Some computers will lock up with a 2.0 hub in a 1.0 port, depending on how the motherboard handles it. In this case, use a 2.0 PCI card (even a Belkin brand one from Staples will work) and plug a 2.0 hub into that to get the enhanced port. The 2.0 card by itself does not show an enhanced port. You need this to take advantage of higher speeds.

In recent versions of SB3, there is a SpeedTest.exe and a USBView.exe utility under the Diagnostic folder in: C:/Pragram Files/ShopBot3 - I suggest you familiarize yourself with them and make use of them to see how your tool stacks up with communication speeds.

Here's a screenshot of USBView showing the ATEN serial bridge sitting under the enhanced port of the 2.0 hub:

24139.jpg

-B

Bill Thorpe Guest

Brady, Thanks for the explanation.

The PCI USB board may not have been needed but, it was easier to do it all at once than try the hub then order the board if that did not work. Time is money. In my case it was money well spent.

Is it possible to have the computer as far as 26 feet away from the Shopbot controler without any problems.Do i need a certain of usb cable to do the job

Charlie - NO! The computer must be no more than 12 feet away from the control box to get reliable performance. It is a better idea to put the computer next to the control box & extend your PS/2 keyboard, mouse and monitor. I have successfully run PS/2 over 50 feet in industrial applications, so there should be no problem there. The shorter your USB, the better.

-B

OK, 73.8% on the speedtest has been ok for a while. But now (I changed my drivers back up to 1000 steps per rev from 500) and with 3:1 gearboxes and 25T pinions, I think my UV are high enough for the port to stumble. Cutting circles at 8ips, I'm getting a rough stumbling sound and feeling.

Dell computer. I got a 2.0 card, and a 2.0 hub. Plug it all in and I can't get the ATEN bridge to sit under an enhanced bus. How do you change the assignment? I have an enhanced bus on the motherboard and on the new USB card. But no matter how I plug it in, I can't get it to assign it to the enhanced one.

Thanks,

Gabe "This is driving me crazy" Pari

Nevermind, the hub that was labeled 2.0 wasn't really a 2.0 hub. Go figure. New hub cured it. I'm at 83% now.

I just got my PRSSTANDARD and I have a big problem with running USB cable between VFD, Control Board and computer. I've followed all Assembly Instructions but have difficulties to understand how to run the USB cable from VFD pannel to my computer. please, I need help, as possible with pictures from PRSSTANDARD owners.