Thread: Is all uldf created equal

Default Is all uldf created equal

I just purchased a 4x10 sheet of uldf at my local lumber yard today. I see every body mention the cost of trupan at about 100 or so a sheet. I only paid about 35 for my uldf. I just started thinking is all uldf equal? Any body know?

Joel,
    Not really. The Trupan we speak about comes from plantation grown radiata pine which is then peeled off the logs in a technique similar to what the veneer guys do. Then instead of grinding it and mixing the dust with a formaldahyde type binder, the Trupan is laid up in what looks like layers (if you peeled back an end of a piece you'd see what I mean).
    Many of the "LDF", or "ULDF" versions are created in the same manner as standard MDF, but they vary the formula, and use less filler (thus the lower density) .
    "Real" Trupan will SAY "Trupan"on the side of each sheet. It is made in Chile so I'm pretty sure it's going to be a little tougher to get due to the recent earthquake.
    Having said all of the above, people have had good results with differeing "species"of these composites so it's certainly worth trying what is available in your area. You might discover a winner... By the way most places I've seen charge between $25-$40 a sheet for 18mm material.