Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the last SAFE version of SB3 ?

Default What is the last SAFE version of SB3 ?

I have the new software on my machine pc and although I like some of the new features, I have a big job to run and don't need the wierd problems happening. I have not had the big troubles some of you have had. Mine mostly does not take commands the way it used to. If I just type in a move command, it may take it and maybe not. Sometimes I have to type the command as m then wait 5 seconds, then x, then wait 5, then the number. Otherwise the screen looks like I didn't enter a command at all. I am looking for which version to run that was trouble free. Keep all the bells and whistles, I just want to run my files trouble free.

Thanks for any advise you can give.

Kenneth

3.5.18 or 20
    Gary

Kenneth,

I have been having the same types of problems with the [C] commands. I will type C2 (my ZZero routine) or C1 (my air drill zzero routine) on the keyboard and the software acts like I didn't type anything. The same type of action happens with many of the [C] commands I have set up. I may have to type it 3 or 4 times before it will start executing the command.

With my air drill zzero routine I was having problems where it would start executing the routine and then just abruptly exit without finishing. If I ran the file in single step/debug mode, it would execute just fine. I talked with Frank at support and he walked me through some code fixes in the Drill Offset.sbp file that needed to be made that weren't published anywhere on the ShopBot website. I wonder if there are fixes that need to be made in some of the other supplied .sbp files that haven't been published. Tech Support?

I have version 3.6.3 running on my control computer since I fired up my new PRS Alpha 96x60 with 2.2hp spindle and air drill. Since I've just gotten up and running (still working on reliability and stability after almost 5 weeks), I can't vouch for reliability of 3.6.3 versus earlier versions of SB3.

Don

Hi Gary,

It was great chatting with you on the phone yesterday. Thank you, so much, for your time!

Where can we get copies of 3.5.18 or 3.5.20? Would we have to downgrade the control box firmware if we install an earlier version of SB3? I hope that won't cause the controller to go ape$&*@#.

Don

There is a link to previous versions under the Control SW page on the SB site.

I just downgraded to 3.5.20 as I was running into more issues with my latest job. You will need to downgrade the firmware as well...I did not run into any issues doing that.

-Howie

Guys...
    There is a double edged sword here... if we all dont use the new "stuff" and report issues, it will never be good. Those of use the wish to use the SB Link NEED the newer versions, as the encoder is not installed in the 3.5.xx versions.

Don...
    I have been reporting the "double or triple" typing to get a command in for many beta versions. It seems that something steals "focus" from the SB3 software, even tho nothing else visible is running. IT doesnt appear that SB is able to replicate this one.
    Gary

Richard, I am all for electing Gary to de-bug the system. lol

I was thinking that most of us probably have an old pc (I do) running the bot. Depending on what pc they used to beta test, maybe it didn't show up??

Don, I just went to the add and remove programs on my pc and took of the sb3 control sofware there. Then installed the old version and all was well. I didn't look for or mess with firmware.

I am back to 3.5.20 and all is smooth again.

Everyone always said to turn off extra stuff running in the background, BUT the new control software runs quite a bit of the new vectric stuff for file progress percentage, tool location and all that good stuff.

It could be that extra good stuff running is causing the issues.

I liked the extras that were in it, but I need it to do "what I say, when I say".

Kenneth

Kenneth,

Glad you are up and running. I wish I was.....

My problem is I want to use Shopbot Link ($1295 outlay). To use it I need the latest SB3 version. Kinda a catch 22 - on the one hand I don't trust the machines stability and reliability to put a high $$$$$$ piece of material on it for fear of having it destroyed (even if I use Partworks to hand nest and cut). On the other hand I like to design cabinetry/furniture in eCabinets (customers love it)and would love to take advantage of the productivity/efficiency gains proposed by the Link.

I don't remember signing up to be a beta tester when I laid out big $$$ to buy this machine (plus modifications and labor $$$ to get it running). I expected to purchase the machine, set it up per the instructions, align it per the instruction and start making money with it.

I think if ShopBot Support had a link on their website to fixes/patches to the .sbp files, that would be major step in helping us to get things more stable. If they know of a problem, they should post it, plus the fix. They shouldn't wait for someone to call and say I have this problem and they respond with ok, here is the .sbp file you need to fix. I shouldn't have to break drill bits in my ShopBot supplied Air Drill to find out there is a .sbp file patch/fix.

Just my $.02 ......

Don

Don,

I understand your frustration. The only thing I can suggest is to call sooner when a problem pops up. I have my share of broken bits and messed up wood as well, but honestly most of them are operator error.

I have been using ecabinets for several years now, but I already had my bot making the parts I wanted using vcarve pro. I run my cabinet sides using the bot with the dados and holes. The straight parts in between I am still knocking out on the cabinet saw. Gary tells me I'm wrong, but I am happy and making money with it. I have been sitting on the fence and watching Gary and others test drive the sb link.

I knew there would be SOME issues with the link with combining the sb and ecab programs, but I had issues with the bot (3.6.1) and don't even have the link.

I wish you much progress and little frustration.

Kenneth

Hi Guys,

Of course, as you are probably aware, we ran the recent beta software for many months and thought all issues were resolved and that things were pretty robust before we released the 3.6.x software. There have been a few new problems that we've been made aware of and we've tried to sort these out as quickly as possible.

If you are having problems with 3.6.3, it would be really helpful to get them sent in to support with the problem file and your relevant info. There is a new section under HELP in the software to make this very easy. That makes it a lot easier to duplicate the problem and quickly get it fixed.

Note that the eCabinet Link creates a special set of issues for us because ShopBots can be configured in so many different ways to put it to use and because we're trying to support several generations of tools. Both we and Thermwood are working hard to make sure it works for everyone. So if there is an issue in the way you are using it, please let us know.

The "C" Commands create a kind of catch-22 for us. Because they are "custom" and can be modified and created by users, we do not over-write them when new software is installed (though we do now install a backup version from which the latest "C" commands for automatic and manual tool changes can be copied). Because of this, and our inability to know what has been put in some custom cut files, there can sometimes be some sorting out required with updates and "C" or custom cut commands.

Partly because of the eCabinet System, the changes in our airdrills from PRT to PRS, and some requests from people like Gary for changes/improvements in the airdrill routines, they have been a bit of a moving target. And for that, I can only say we are plugging forward.

Ted Hall, ShopBot Tools