Thread: Need 3D scanner Info

University of North Dakota, Grand Forks North Dakota

Default Need 3D scanner Info

Hello, I'm looking at possible 3D laser scanners for our lab at the University of North Dakota. I know many folks have built their own, but what are some of the recommended commercial options out there that you have had experience with? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

What kind of scanning are you looking to do? 3-axis? 4-axis? Are your models 5-sided, or are they more like a relief? Once you have the model, will you be cutting it out on the ShopBot? If so, what software do you have? (I ask because it makes no sense to have the ability to completely scan something 5-sided if you only have a 3-axis machine, and the ability to sculpt in 3-axes only) What is the minimum & maximum size of the models you would typically scan? What is the smallest bit that you would use to cut the model - or what resolution are you looking to achieve? What is the role of the scanner - for digitial archival purposes (museum etc) or reproduction (end result is CNC machined parts) ? A lot of questions, I know...but ones you should be asking & answering.

Feel free to contact me via email to discuss your needs. We recently supplied a high resolution scanning system (hardware/software/training) to one of the most prestigious sectors of the US Govt. This type of system may be suitable for your needs. In any case, I can help you decide what system is right for the type of work that you are doing, regardless of brand.

-B

University of North Dakota, Grand Forks North Dakota

Right now I'm in the early planning stages, but I would like to have a proposal crafted for the scanner this fall. The only software that we currently use is AutoCAD, Inventor, MasterCAM, and we are also looking at purchasing 10 seats of ArtCAM Pro in the near future. I currently only am doing 3 axes carving; however, I would envision going to a 4th in the near future for the ShopBot and we also will be getting a 4th axis option for the Tormach in our lab. In addition, we are also considering the purchase of a 3D printer. The size of the work we do can be anything from ring size on up to a 3'x5' carving, though for our purposes a benchtop unit (if available) would probably work just fine. I would like the resolution to be very good since we would be doing some fairly intricate parts.

As always, cost is an issue, so I would be looking for the best bang for the buck so to speak.

Regards,

Alex Johnson