Thread: Cutting finger joints

Default Cutting finger joints

I want to cut finger joints on plywood to make simple boxes. in creating the tool paths, (using v carve) do i cut inside, outside or on the path. lastly, do i have to offset the path depending which cut i chose. need help as i do not want to waste time and money! thanks for the help

The easiest way to cut finger joints on the bot is using the off the side of the table method and clamping the boards together. This means you are cutting the butt ends with the bit and you eliminate the bit radius in the corners.

Illustrated in these threads...
    http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/mes...tml?1164062669
    http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/mes...164/28434.html

The same idea can be applied to box joints.

Hope that helps.
    /RB

Since in another post I had asked for help regarding a boxjoint, this would be similar I want to ask this to clarify my thinking.

In the top part of the pic you see the face view of the dentil molding and the toolpath.
    Below the line you see a top view of a piece of wood that i invision how a toolpath might be made for a boxjoint cutting it in a vertical position, or would it be better to toolpath it similar to the dentil molding where the toolpath comes back thru the joint to move on to the next?

35331.jpg

I would not do the option below the line as every other slot will be a climb cut and the ones in between conventional. So your fingers might vary in size slightly. Whichever option you choose I would go in and out for each slot as in your top toolpath.

As if i'm manually cutting box joints/dovetails on a jig? It's been a while since i cut the dentil molding so i'll have to go back and figure out how i toolpathed the "over, in/out, over" movement of the toolpath but that is for another day after i mount some type of vertical holding jig. I have enough to work on with the project you have helped me with now. Thanks again for the help...

You and I do not get enough sleep

Jack...
    You might want to try my dovetail cutting file that is available to download at ShopBot Labs. You can change variables to obtain the spacing that you need. It should be fairly easy to make it cut box joints as long as you need. The link to the file is at the end of this article: http://www.shopbottools.com/garysmusings.htm#Jig
    Good Luck, Gary

David,
    It's a good thing i'm REtired, cuz i sure am TIRED...

Gary,
    You just helped me figure out what my next project is...small boxes with boxjoints or dovetails...thanks

Jack...
    There is also a link to the PC dovetail instruction book on the Rockler website. Look in the book for the how to's for your box joints. (and many others)

Gary