Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Question About V-Bits and Corner Cuts

Bill,

Those are shelves - and they are downside up.

Paco,

The star was done in RHINO. I just "thought" where I wanted the bit to travel to get the desired shape and imported the DXF file into Vector.

It started with Bill Young's V-cut star back when these things were cable driven and one spent as much time adjusting as cutting. I then thought I could plot the pionts using a spread sheet or calculator and did just that and built a crude raised star. After that, the project set for a while. When I made the final star, as seen, it was done simply to finish what was started and playing in RHINO. The texturing is true 3D as it the toolpaths were projected on a conical surface. But, no "3D" tool path making program was used.

I'm a fan of Vector... I really don't think one needs another CAM program. But to do MillGizzard type work with Vector you need more brains and time than with the other programs. I run low on both at times.

I'll be looking for a real 3D program soon. I'll probably smend 40-60 hours deciding which one I like best.

Ron

Ron,

I have often wanted to do stars like yours using our cheap little ArtCam, Insignia program but don't think it can be done.

We've made several attempts on stars that are incorporated in a larger Chip Carve pattern with no success.

So I must ask, can you do this type star, short of a 3D program.

J
    www.normansignco.com

I'm not Ron but... Surely Joe!!! Insignia is just fine for this... What whent wrong with your previous stars?

Joe,

I'll be happy to discuss the star at any time. I have made the files available in the past and have "improved" them by optimizing cut loads and such.

There are 2 files available - I need to do some editing and testing before I let them out again. But there is file for a 120 degree bit and one for a 45 degree bit. Right now, I don't have the free time or inclination to test them. So, it will be a while before I turn them loose again.

I will try and take some time this week, put some instructions in the file and see if the kind folks at ShopBot Central will post them again.

Ron

Thank You, Paco & Ron.

I have made several attempts to make a star with Insignia but don't seem to get it right.

Here's what I have tried: Clear away the area around the star area. Then change to a Vee bit, Z to top of material and cut. It doesn't do the inside vertical corners without rounding off the star ends.

I must assume Ron is not doing his stars in 3D mode.

J

Hummm... as Ron wrote previously, I believe he has done thoses inside sharp corner manually; using inside corner's coordinates and center point of the star to create himself the 3D moves that will machine thoses lines. You need to do this yourself by entreing the code within the cutting file of star create with "bevel carving" strategie in Insignia... or create a star a like by "profiling" it first with the V-bit...be careful since you will be creating a toolpath manually; plan wisely the jogs too!... what I suggest should work; I did it with other shapes than with a star... but maybe Ron have a different approach?!...

Short course, In Rhino, I drew the planes a bit would cut. I used the lower intersection as the bit path and went from there.

I have also done decorative spiral volutes, animal heads, "barbed wire" and other decorative patterns using the bit shape as part of the cutting and design stratigy. I've never seen a program that does things like I think.

Ron